Used Parts -> Old PC : Doable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Oct 2, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Just looking for some comments.

I'm planning in the next few months surfing ebay for old computer parts and building a old pc (low specs, probably going to try to run linux or something).

How much should I expect to spend? Can I build a semi-functional pc for about 50 bucks?

(I'm thinking like a Pentium III and like 64 RAM.)

lol :D

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

IMO, you'd be better off shopping around locally for parts before turning to eBay. When you consider the shipping costs, buying the parts via eBay will easily put you over the fifty dollar mark.

Better yet, ask around to see if your friends and co-workers have any spare parts just lying around that they want to get rid of. I know that when the CD-ROM drive in one of my PCs went bad, a friend just gave me one of his old ones -- he'd upgraded his computer to a DVD burner and no longer needed the old drive.

Anyways, good luck on the project! If you've never built a PC from parts, it is kinda neat.

3. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Newegg.com is great for cheap parts and they are new. I built a PC for my girlfriend's mom last year for around $200 including keyboard, mouse and speakers.

And I'd agree on eBay, the shipping charges suck and if you get someone who sells bad parts, odds are you won't be able to get your money back.

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Take a look on craigslist. I see computers pop up for around $50 all the time. Parts pop up occasionally. Are you looking for the fun of building a pc, or do you just want a cheap workable computer?

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I second this recommendation for NewEgg, if you decide to buy some of the parts new. My friends and I have dealt with them for several years now.
    Good question. You know, he could buy a whole computer, take it apart and put it back together again -- best of both worlds. ;)

6. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I just really want the fun of building a computer.
    That's it. ;)

I have many computers I can use beside the one I might be building.

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

7. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I suggest looking at used computer stores. They have loads of junk. At school last year we made a computer for 'free' from old computer parts they had. But it had a Pentium 1 processor, 2GB hard drive and had around 16 colours. :rolleyes:

8. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Bad thing is I live in small town that doesn't have any computet specific stores... :(

9. TowerRat macrumors newbie

PM me

Bobber

email or pm me. I am in Washington state. I have some stuff you can use. I would just charge postage.

let me know

Dave C.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Bear in mind that you can build a new PC with el-cheapo parts for $200 or less - excluding the cost of Windows, of course.

You can also probably find a complete PIII system in the local newspaper for under $50.