Used Powermac G4 or 1.25 Ghz iMac G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wonga1127, Apr 26, 2006.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    Okay, right not im saving money up for a 17" MBP, but cannot stand to use Windows anymore. I thought I would get an older Mac to hold me over until the beautiful $3000 mark. I mostly would use it for web browsing, music, maybe some light video editing, and mutimedia design. The Powermac G4 i can get probably for free or for cheap, my aunt has one sitting in her house collecting dust. The iMac option is more expensive, but more practical as the monitor im on right now would leave with the Dell too to go with my sister. If i got the Powermac, i would have to leave the monitor and the Dell where they are and stack the two towers on top of each other. WIth the iMac, the whole PC deal would go. Which would have the greatest resale value in a year or two? Which one is a better value?

PS: The iMacs go for about 500-900 dollars. Both would be reformatted for Tiger, so if the iMac came wo/ it, then id have to buy the OS.
  2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    Depends what speed is the Powermac G4? It's hard to compare the 2 now knowing details, especially Ram and Hard Drive space which will be important if you plan on doing light video work and multimedia design.