Used Powermac G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Emerson, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Emerson macrumors member

Emerson

Well guys I need some buyng advice.

I currently own a 12 powerbook (rev. A), but i have noticed that it simply struggles with my D70 pics in photoshop CS and Nikon Capture isn't even functional. So money is a little tight (college student) so I was thinking about selling my powerbook (going price on ebay appears to be around $700-$800) and buying a Powermac Dual G4 on ebay. I am looking at either a Dual 1.25 or Dual 1.0 and I would max the ram out to 2 gigs. The going rate for that appears to be around $1100-$1200. I guess my question is will this make a huge difference for running Photoshop/Capture, or should I just keep my powerbook and wait till next summer and get a brand new powermac? I already have a Dell 2005FPW, so all I would need is the Powermac.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks ahead of time

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

First I would ask what you have for RAM in you PB. I have the exact same lappy, rev a 12" PB. With the 256 ram it came with it was ok until I tried running PS 7.0 and Ill CS, I upgraded my RAM to 640 and now its fine. I too am a college student and use my PB for all of my imaging (which can be a lot considering I'm a New Media student). I would say upgrade your ram and then if its still too slow consider getting something newer. I would also add that it would make much more sense to wait and get a new PM if you can rather than get a G4 PM...it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade IMO.

**edit**
    just read your sig lol, so you have 640 ram eh? i'd say wait and spend the money on the new PM.

3. auxplage macrumors 6502

With PowerMac updates that are coming soon, the dual 1.8 is sure to come down in price. I would go for that.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Nikon Capture/View is a pretty slow app in my experience. Use photoshop if you can. If you need the (better) RAW support of Nikon Capture, then a dual CPU machine wont help you. AFAIK, none of the Nikon apps are multi-threaded. You just need a machine with a faster clock speed (ie G5).