Used Rev. A PB 12" vs. Brand new iBook 12"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaNMaC, Jul 29, 2004.

1. CaNMaC macrumors newbie

I've been reading the useful posts here for many months now, and it's finally time for me to ask some questions myself as I look to become a switcher! :D

So, I'd would like to ask for "objective" advice... ;)

What are the main hardware pros and cons between a 867 Mhz 12 PB and a 1 Ghz 12 iBook? For me, I will be using Office v. X, web site construction, casual digital imaging/manipulation, and Internet. If the prices are about the same, what are the reasons you would choose one over the other?

Thanks for your input - you have the power to influence how I will compute for the next 3 years! :eek:

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

iBook would definitely be better option.
    12" 867 MHz has L2 cache of 256 mb as opposed to iBook's 512 mb.
    Don't know what was the system bus speed on the pb though.
    The earlier pbs got damn hot too.
    So I would choose the new iBook.

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I think you mean kb.

The PB also lacked USB2, the video card in the PB is considerably underpowered compared to the iBook and they both have a 133MHz bus.

Get the iBook.

4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

darn! beat me to it! :) they don't get too hot, but hotter than the later revs i think. Whereas the ibook is very cool and will be faster. also the ibook has 256 built in and the original powerbook only has 128. iBook!!! :D

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

ibook for sure. The current ibook is practically the same as the rev. B powerbook, which was vastly superior to the rev. A. Add in that the ibook is brand new, and it's a no brainer.

6. CaNMaC thread starter macrumors newbie

So what about 1Ghz 12" PB vs. 1 Ghz 12" iBook?

Thanks for your responses so far. The iBook comes out the clear winner!
    Since the new iBook is about the same as the Rev. B 12" PB, which one would you choose, if:

iBook: $1000
    PB: $1200 (used, 6 months old)

:confused:

Thanks! :p

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The only advantage of the Rev B. PB is DVI out and Audio input. If you don't need that then save the money and get the iBook with a full 12 months warranty, better battery life and that "new in box" experience.

I don't think there's enough of a difference between them to justify buying second hand.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I tend to agree with that. The PB *is* better by virtue of the DVI, audio in, and the smaller/lighter form factor. However, if there's a difference of $200 (but take in to account adding bluetooth to the ibook, that's $50 and I highly recommend it), plus the ibook being new, I'd say the ibook still comes out the winner.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The rev. B PB also will be compatible with the Core Image technologies of Tiger next year.

FWIW - Apple from time to time refurb'd rev. B's for about $1200 I think.

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

yah, now its a tricky choice :), the only thing I can think against the rev B pb is that its not new.

11. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

The thread states Rev A 12" PB so it doesnt have DVI and its not compatible with Core image.

12. CaNMaC thread starter macrumors newbie

:D :D :D iBook it is!!!

Thanks for your insights and information! I'll be watching for back to school sale and snatch one up when the time is right! Any additional things I should know aside from adding as much RAM as I can afford (from Crucial)?

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Great to hear.

Not to put a damper, but you did consider the Core Image that will be part of Tiger, right? For photo and video, this may be a big selling point for users when Tiger comes out.

As to RAM. The other good name in Mac memory is OWC. I got a Samsung 1gb module for my PB rev. B for $360. Much less than Crucial at the time. And the Samsung modules are the ones that people say that Apple uses.

Again, welcome to the world of Mac.

14. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Hope you are aware of the cram and jam special going on right now.
    :)

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good thing is that this program goes through 9/25

16. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Remember, the current iBook will not support Core Imaging in Tiger (you need a 64MB graphics card). I think that is a very big deal, why buy an obsolete product? By the time you add Airport, Bluetooth, and a hard drive upgade to the iBook you are at $1182. The PowerBook is only $217 more and will have a 64 MB graphics card to support Core Imaging, a faster processor, Audio-in and DVI.

In a few months, Tiger should be released and iLife 05 will be on its way. If you can wait, I'd buy a computer when the new software is included. Maybe at that time the iBook will have a 64MB graphics card, otherwise I think the PowerBook is the smarter buy.

lasuther

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I thought that it was graphics card driven. And the 32mb card in the PB 12" rev. B would work with Core Image. Never saw anything that 64mb would be needed.

18. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Yeah exactly, Apple have said nothing about VRAM prerequisites just that it needs one of the video cards listed on the Core Image page.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I just hope that lasuther doesn't have some developer notes somewhere, that Apple has not decided to share with the rest of us.

20. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Possible but I assume that would have been provided it with the Tiger preview. Since Apple sold a machine with a compatible card and only 32MB of VRAM I think they'd be up front about it. With such an early build of Tiger the requirements could always change later on. Apple originally stated that Quartz Extreme required a 32MB Radeon but later changed the documentation to 16MB.

The easiest way to know for sure would be to find someone with a 12" Rev B who's installed the Tiger preview. Actually, if anyone here has I'd really love to hear about it.

21. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Why would he wait 6 months for tiger to be released? Apple said it themselves it wont be out till first half of 2005.

22. CaNMaC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for providing more fruit for thought...

It seems that one major drawback for getting an iBook right now is its inability to support the Core Image function in Tiger. I read on the Apple web site the various effects that Tiger will be able to produce. How relevant will that be for what I will be using the computer for: Office, web site construction, casual digital imaging, and Internet? :confused: :confused: :confused:

23. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Hardly relevant at all, should only have an impact if you intended to do serious DV editing or 3D animation etc. and the iBook isn't the best machine for those tasks anyway.

Core Image/Graphics is supposed to scale according to the abilities of the graphics card, so you'll get some benefit from it just not all the features.

24. CaNMaC thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it!

Hi again. As a result of an impulsive decision on eBay, I now am a proud owner of a Rev. B 12" Powerbook :D . I flip back and forth about feeling that I spent too much on it and how great it is to use. But without a doubt this is the nicest laptop I've ever come in contact with. Thanks again for your input.

So, since shipping, taxes and other costs I didn't factor in :eek: put me over my budget, I'm looking for quality, free (oxymoron?) apps. In particular, OpenOffice (X11 version). What's your experience with it? Would you recommend it as the primary productivity software? And is X11 difficult to install? My main use for it include word processing spreadsheet, and some presentation. :confused:

Thanks!