Used toughbook or Wallstreet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andypress, Mar 20, 2005.

1. andypress macrumors regular

I'm taking a trip to Israel this summer, and I was looking for a laptop to copy my pictures from my digital camera to. I was looking at the Wallstreet, and the Toughbook CF-71. I would really like an Apple, but I don't know how it would hold up.

2. dvdiva macrumors member

We use toughbooks at work.Had several now and would never buy one. Yes they are tough but the support really sucks. They have to support us since we are a gaint company but for the average person forget it. No drivers, wrong drivers, no real phone support.

3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

4. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

An iPod Photo? The probelm is those are like $400, and I already have an ipod(gen 2).

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

as oppose to an wallstreet? You could always sell the iPod to finance the new iPhoto. Just an option to throw out

6. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

its an iPod Photo, say it with me now "iPod Photo" ;)

iPhoto is an application, not something you can carry on your person while in Israel

7. RacerX macrumors 65832

While I love my Wallstreet and wouldn't trade it in for the world... for what you want/need, I don't think it is the system for you.

Important things to remember about the PowerBook G3 line:
    Wallstreet- Has SCSI, ADB and Apple Serial ports, does not have USB or Firewire.
    Lombard- Has SCSI, USB, does not have ADB, Apple Serial or Firewire.
    Pismo- Has USB and Firewire, does not have SCSI, ADB or Apple Serial​
    If you are using a camera with your computer, odds are you want Firewire. And with a Wallstreet, you'll need a PCMCIA card for that (same with USB).

8. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

I planned on buying a usb card and wifi if I went with either of them. Only pro-slrs have firewire such as the Fuji S3 and higher end nikons.

9. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Go Pismo

Yup - if you want to go PowerBook G3, shoot for a Pismo (a.k.a. PowerBook G3 Firewire). I have a low Pismo (400mHz versus some that are 500), and it does run Panther. I believe the Wallstreet and Lombard won't (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anywho - the line itself is VERY rugged. It takes all sorts of abuse and continues to look and act beatiful(ly).

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Keep in mind that family of G3 laptops was HEAVY -- i have one and i use it all the time -- but it definitely made me appreciate the 12" and i'm almost certain that i'll get that over the 15" simply for mobility

i actually took mine with me to Lake Tahoe for a week -- caring a DSLR with lenses & accessories plus that laptop for dumbing pictures onto was definitely a lot to carry
    think size and mobility dude

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

The Wallstreets are the ones with the short comings. They top out at 10.2.8 (without additional help) and Mac OS X can't be installed on a partition larger than 8 GB.

The others are fine for at least 10.3 and don't have the volumes size limitation.

The Wallstreets share the same old world firmware with the Beige G3s and tray loading iMacs. Those were the models left behind with the release of 10.3.

On the plus side, it has also pushed the prices for those models down quite a bit too.

12. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

hey the net is all about the short cuts ;)

all he wants to do is dump the photos off, he wouldn't need to use it in public.