Useing a PS2/PS3 on a computer screen.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kimi, May 8, 2006.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

First off, I'm not wanting to run my PS2 on my iMac. Nothing like that

Right, I'm going to be going to uni in September and I'm making a shoping list. I don't want to buy a TV, as then I have to pay the TV licence; and as I don't watch TV, I think it's was of money.

What I want to do it play my PS2 on a computer screen, and later a PS3 (I've got money set aside for it), and I don't know how or if I can do it.

Another question is about HD. The PS3 will be able to put out HD, would I be able to use a monitor to play in HD. I know we know very little about it, but can you use the 360 a guide?

Thanks for any help.

2. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

3. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

It depends what type of input connectors your display has. If it only has VGA and DVI I don't think there is a way to hook it up.

4. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a screen yet. I'm going to be buying it with the money that I'd be using on the TV and TV license, so I just need to know what to make sure it has for when I get one. I do have a spare screen about, but it's just a regular one. So the chances are it won't work.

5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

You also have to consider a way to hook up your speakers to the system too, unless you get an LCD TV type monitor.

6. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

Googleing I found this. Looks to do what I want for a PS2, but I'm unsure about a PS3. I'm going to have to check the outputs on it.

Any know if I could do HD with that thing?

EDIT: I found another one: here.

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have a PS2 and as I see, the two links you provided have the necessary connectors to be connected into the computer screen from the PS2. I'm sure they will work for PS2.

For PS3 I'm not sure, but let's use some common sense here:
    Basically, PS3 may have more connectors, but the old connectors will remain: the PS3 will want to connect to older televisions apart from HighDefinition ones. So it must keep the old standard for connections. So, the two links you provided MAY suit for PS3. But I'm not sure, you may need to ask that question when PS3 comes out.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think you can get HDMI -> DVI + audio cables, but I'm not sure. I also don't know what other video outputs the PS3 will/will not have.

9. cblackburn macrumors regular

If you can afford it go for the Dell 2405FPW or similar, they come with composite and S-Video inputs. That solves the PS2 problem.

As for the PS3 the HD will probably work using HDMI which, as long as there is no copy protection embedded, is just DVI with a different connector. Get a compatible cable and you can hook it up to any DVI screen.

Chris

10. demallien macrumors regular

I play my PS2 on my iMac G5 20" and it is VERY nice :) I had to buy an EyeTV EZ (about 130€) to do it, but it works flawlessly.

11. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I'll be able to blow £600+ on a screen when I'm going to uni...

That's not an option, it's a TV thing which is not what I'm trying to avoid.

I figured that it'll work with older things, but I'm looking more at the HD part. The PS3 will have these, but I don't know what they are or what they connect with:
    HDMI OUT
    AV MULTI OUT
    DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)

Google gave me a HDMI to DVI video cable, but I couldn't see an audio cable. I wasn't looking to hard, but I guess it cab be done.

12. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i have also been looking to convert my extra monitor into playing game systems. but also i wanted it to become a tv. and this is what i found.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815100143

it comes with a tv tuner so i can hook up cable tv and input a game system. but their was not many reviews so i am hesitant to go a buy it. i am waiting for more people to review it before i take the jump.:eek:

13. charmin macrumors member

charmin

Buy a TV or an EyeTV. You do not need a TV License to own and operate a television set in the UK (and I was in halls of residence only last year).

As long as it's not plugged into an aerial, and to be safe make sure the channels are all detuned, there's nothing they can do about it. I sent an email to the TV licensing agency last year and they confirmed this in writing.

Someone buy me an EyeTV.

14. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I already know that, I've got a letter from them saying so. (I wrote to them so I'd get one to prove my parents wrong). But still, I don't want a TV. Not as usefu,l bigger, lower resolution. A screen is better is every single way for me. I don't want to use my PS2 via my iMac, I want the second screen.

Back to the point, Is there a way to use my PS2 to out to a DVI?

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro