Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chubbles

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I'm trying to set up my mountain lion Mac Mini with one administrator and one user account. This is my first try with accounts. Should all the files in the administrator account be non-sharing files in system preferences under file sharing? Should I do all my future work in the user account, Including downloading programs? Do I need to be in the administrator account when receiving updates from Apple? What should be my iCloud settings under system preferences for My admin account and user account, and should the settings be identical or can they differ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tkanks,
Chubbles

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm trying to set up my mountain lion Mac Mini with one administrator and one user account. This is my first try with accounts. Should all the files in the administrator account be non-sharing files in system preferences under file sharing? Should I do all my future work in the user account, Including downloading programs? Do I need to be in the administrator account when receiving updates from Apple? What should be my iCloud settings under system preferences for My admin account and user account, and should the settings be identical or can they differ?
The default account on a Mac is an administrator account. There is no need to create another account unless you're sharing the Mac with another user. Just use the admin account for everything.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tkanks,
Chubbles

To answer your questions, if you prefer to run as a user account, just setup the admin account and do nothing else there. Don't setup iCloud or anything else in that account. Just activate it, then add your user account, and go over to the user account to setup iCloud and everything else.

You can get updates in the user account, but some will ask you to enter the admin user name and password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.