User Accounts & Permissions

Discussion in 'OS X' started by pianoman1976, May 20, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

May 20, 2008

I am unable to change certain permissions on a folder "WikiServer" (/Library/Application Support/Apple). There is a user listed, "(unknown)" who has full control. I am unable to do anything with this user on this folder despite me taking ownership, giving myself full control, and unlocking the folder.

Who/what is this user? Can I query a list of all non-system users? I only have my account (admin) and a guest account (disabled) on this system. I've noticed an additional user "Wheel" on a number of folders. Is this a system thing? I don't believe so because she shows up wherever Mickey Mouse stuff is going on.

Also when running Disk Utility, even form a direct boot from CD, I am unable repair permissions on a number of folders. If booting from a CD does not allow me full control, what does? I thought a CD boot was a fail safe in this regard.

Please advise. Thanks.
  2. macrumors G4

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Mac OS X doesn't show you all the users and groups on the system, from the Finder by default. The wheel group has been around for a long time - its existence originates from BSD, which Mac OS X is derived from. You can use the Terminal to query the system about a folder's permissions, if you know which commands to use. The command you need in this case is this:
    ls -l /Library/Application\ Support/Apple/WikiServer/
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 20, 2008
    User "Wheel" appears to be capable of malicious intrusion. What are your thought on this? What are your thoughts on this "unknown" user that I cannot remove from this folder's permissions? What is wikiserver?

Finally, how do I fix my system to get back my original permissions, as the disk utility from CD boot does not work. Are there root settings somewhere that are preventing this? Do I need to return this computer to the Apple Store?

Thank you.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 20, 2008
    Here is what Terminal returns for the WikiServer folder:

total 0
    drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:28 Japanese.lproj
    drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:27 de.lproj
    drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:28 fr.lproj