User Accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrCrowley, Mar 17, 2007.

1. MrCrowley macrumors newbie

Having a problem getting User Accounts working, when I switch to another user everything stalls and the fresbee is spinning forever:mad:

Any idear there can fix the problem:confused: -it used to work... and works on my iMac but not my new MacBook Pro

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Define "spinning forever". Do you mean it takes a really long time, or it never happens at all?

Anyway, try repairing permissions.

3. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing is happening -nothing at all so I have to re-boot to get started again

Hope that helps.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, so you can access your main user fine, but you can't access any other account? Is this happening with more than one account? What recent changes have you made to your system? :)

5. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct I can acces the main account but not other, I have deleted the other accounts and set them up again but with same result. I tried the disk permission repair but no change. :confused:

Did not make any changes. When I bought the MacBook Pro a months time ago I sat up the user and all was fine. Now when I need it then problems...

Yeah I sound like my daughter "I didn't do anything..." :rolleyes:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, so if you create a new user account, you still can't log into it... Is this only through Fast User Switching? Can you otherwise log into them from the conventional login screen? Also, do you have FileVault turned on in the Security pane of your main account?

7. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

Did as proposed and I have two accounts up running, but without fast switch... (running with out any passwords)

How can I get the fast switch up running?

Thanks a lot :)

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

in user accounts, go to login options....and enable fast user switching.

9. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

If I do that I will be back to base one -only main account is working:(

So problem is that fast switch is not working

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have FileVault running? It's an option in the Security pane of System Preferences. :)

11. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

No the File Vault is not running it is "OFF".:eek:

It seems like the problem occours when the fast switching is "ON" -needless to say it is a pain everytime switching accounts.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very strange. I'm kinda grasping at straws here, but try reinstalling the 10.4.9 combo update. :)

13. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... I hear you and the thought crossed my mind. But... we are talking a brand new MBP born with 10.4.9 about 1,5 month old and it was working when I was setting up. -Something must had happened, have tried to simulate on my ol' IMAC but here it just swift accounts like nothing even I run with 3 different languages. -Solid as a rock.

(Not related, I suppose, but at the same time the external Mic port stopped working. Not that it is a big problem as I use my BT mic. but the timing is interesting -absolutely out of the blue one morning, think it was a Wednesday... :rolleyes: )

Now if I now boot from the 10.4.9 disk, there followed the MBP, and of cause back up my data in advance, will i be at any risk of having to re-install all my programs? Or will the Tiger just go in and fix any errors there may be?

Had a lot of fun with my Mac's over the years, but this one puzzels me.

Appreciate you heavy thinking on this one!!!

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you wanting to do an Archive & Install? I guess it's worth a shot for the Fast User Switch problem, but I doubt it'll help the microphone problem. Back everything up, but no data of yours should be lost throughout the process. :)

What sort of third party hardware and software do you have, other than the Bluetooth microphone? Maybe try resetting the SMC.

15. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

Was thinking about, but never tried it before so hesitating as it is a "big thing" to do. (Have a Windows thingy as well, where i had do it once and that meant "Plug n' Pray" :D )

Will try resetting the SMC first.

I have a SHARP LCD Projector, as monitor, 160Gb ext Firewire HD (only data no programs) Nikon D100 camera (not permanent) and some speakers connected and wireless connected to the net.

Following software packs:

CS, Nikon Camera Control, Aperture, MS Office, Iwork, FileMaker, Toast, Omnigraf and StuffIt. Plus SKYPE, Itune and a couple of messengers.

No games and fun stuff as its a working machine.

16. MrCrowley thread starter macrumors newbie

Mad Jew I have been looking on things and can give you, and the rest who has been looking on this tread.

I ran a Archive and Install and I sat up the User Accounts, and it worked -fast switching on 4 different account and 3 languages.

I went back to the main account and I got an "Error 10 from Norton Antivirus" with a request of re-installing the virus protection. I did that, but not before I had all the various OSX updates installed to secure everything was still working.

I then re-installed Norton Antivirus and guess what... Back to where I started, meaning only 1 account could be accessed. Just lovely, 2 hours just wasted.

I ran Archive and Install one more time, and everything worked again perfectly.

Now, if you hear about a sales dude in a Hong Kong Apple Store, who sold me Norton Antivirus and said it was perfect, who have his mouth shaped as a Norton Antivirus box. Then it was me who did it. -No I did not get my money back, as service has yet to arrive in Hong Kong, but no more buying Apple gear in Hong Kong. I suspect the software I bought was a copy/fake but in "original" packing.

Oh yes, the external microphone is working again.

Mad Jew I really appreciate your help on this problem.

Thanks

Mr. Crowley

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh yeah, Norton's notorious for bringing a system down. Keep away. It's not necessary. Glad you got it fixed in the end, mate. :)