User and passwords

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by demfis, Jul 13, 2004.

1. demfis macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I am the only user on my computer, hence I didn't use to have a password for it. I didn't have to enter the password on power-up/reboot and/or when installing programs. I recently entered a password just to play with and now I can't erase it. When trying to delete it I get an error saying "the password you entered is too short..." . I'd like to not have to enter the password on power-up/reboot. I have the "Automatically Log-In as" option engaged under the Accounts menu, but still asks for the password at power up. Also, when trying to run "Trash It" I get an error saying that the old password is not valid.

Could you shine some light on this?. Thanks

df

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Nothing you don't already know--you F'd something up.

I really should just go to bed after drinking this much. I don't probably help anybody on MacRumors.

I've actually done this before. You can create an account with no password, but once you enter one you can't change to a blank password. So go ahead and pick a good one--upper and lower case, combination of letters and numbers--at least 6 characters long--no dictionary words.

Now why you can't boot straight into your account is a mystery. Are you sure you have it set up right?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm just as stumped by Horrortaxi as to what caused this to occur; however, there's an easy way to fix it. Boot your Mac with the Panther install CD (or restore DVD, if your Mac came with Panther); when the installer prompts you to select a language, don't choose one; select "Reset Password" <edit>from the Installer menu</edit> instead.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

or, open netinfo manager and learn to use it properly :)

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

But JFreak, if demfis can't get into the default administrator account, using NetInfo is nigh-impossible.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i thouht there was a problem in shortening the password, not a case of a lost one...

7. demfis thread starter macrumors newbie

User and passwords

I deleted the psswrd from in the netinfo. It still asks me for a password at reboot. Any other ideas?

df

8. demfis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jfreak,

I can get into the account without a problem as I do have the password. However, I am not automatically logged in at power up.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Do you have it set up in System Preferences > Accounts?

10. demfis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i is there, but as I said I can't delete it from there.

df

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

12. demfis thread starter macrumors newbie

Delete the password

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You can't.

It will let you creat an account without a password, but if you change the password from nothing to something, you have to keep the password.

14. Mickie Mac macrumors newbie

I was told that with OS 10 you have to have a password, there's no way around it. If you don't sign out when you shut down it will just open back up into the account you were in last upon start up.

Good luck, hope that helps.