User CP should be more noticeable

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by iCe Cube, Jul 12, 2005.

1. iCe Cube macrumors regular

It took me so long to find the control panel. Maybe 'edit control panel' should be written. It is not aa problem for me, but it was when I first used the forums.

Does anyone else think it should be more noticeable, or is it just me?

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I would agree with you that the "menubar" is not very noticeable. For example, there are a ton of features available in the "Quicklinks" menu, but I just started using it not more than a month ago. I don't necessarily think that "User CP" needs to be made an example of, rather, I think we need to raise awareness of the whole bar.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree it's pretty subtle but that's not a problem because it's easy to use once you find it. ;)

However, I'm not fully sure why we've got a calendar there.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Yeah, I was a bit miffed about that myself.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

that seems to me the basic stock navbar that vB forums have, which means that arn or whomever does the forum coding hasn't changed the navbar template

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Birthdays!!!

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Well, right... but besides that. :)

8. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Well, otherwise I whouldn't know that there's MacWorld Boston today! Not that's it's very important to me or anything :p

Never actually looked at the Calendar until I read these posts. And I've never clicked on Quick Links either... wow.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Calendar is a chicken-and-egg issue. If arn (or others) bothered to add Mac-related events to it reguarly, would it be worth the effort? Certainly not initially, since most people are probably not in the habit of using it. But if it had more information perhaps they would start to use it more. Then again, upcoming Mac-related conferences and events are mentioned in news stories if they are deemed significant, so how would event dates in the Calendar add value?

Having "User CP" changed to other words, e.g., "My Settings", would be fine with me. I remember not being clear what it was when I was a new member. When I see CP I think of the Unix cp (copy) command!

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Perhaps to make things really easy, we should insert a "Start" menu...:eek: :p

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't see a problem at all. All vB boards (and there are obviously a **** load of them!!!) function essentially the same, and look the same (ish). If it's really that hard to figure out (which it's not), then it's just something the newbie will have to get used to, not only for MR, but to be able to navigate their way around the intaaaarweb :D

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

agreed, point in take, look at my site, basically the same navbar template, you have to get used to it either way

gotta love that useless plug :p

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Holy hell I didn't even know that was there! Thanks man!

14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Glad I could help! :D

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could it have a "what happened on this day" feature whereby major events in Apple's history were recorded for each selected day. I'm not really asking for it so much as saying it'd be much easier to maintain once the original data had been put in.

16. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

spelling

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Holy crappioly! I'm with Captain Underpants, I never had any idea of the calender and never really looked at quick links, thanks y'all!!

llama