user download folder missing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mapost, Jun 2, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I do not have a download stack in my dock. Went to "users/home" to click and drag download folder to dock and don't have a download folder to do so. How do I create a new folder at this level?

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

You should have write permissions for your home folder, so just create a folder and name it Downloads. Mac OS X takes care of the icon-related magic for you.

3. macrumors 601

Are you sure the Downloads folder was in your User folder? The default location is the Root.

4. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Eh? That's not true at all... versions of Mac OS X prior to Leopard defaulted to downloading things to the desktop. Leopard and later have a dedicated Downloads folder in each user's home folder for this purpose.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

"New Folder" is grayed out in the finder menu when I am in the user/home window and I also tried the quick key command for new folder and no luck.

6. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you can't create a folder in your home directory, it sounds like you have permissions problems.
    Open Disk Utility and run a permissions repair on your system hard drive, then reboot.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ran permissions repair and still have grayed out "new folder"

8. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you do a "Get Info" on your home folder, what does it say about the permissions?

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

That was the problem, I wasn't even listed as a user. Fixed that with read/write privileges and volia, I now have a download folder. Thanks!