user-friendly implementations of ssh, sftp, and scp for 10.3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beethovengirl, May 20, 2004.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Hi,

I just got a new iBook G4, so I'm very excited! In Mac OS 9, I was using Nifty Telnet SSH for ssh and scp, and I'd like to know if there's a more user-friendly [i.e. with drag and drop] implementation of ssh and sftp/scp for Mac OS X than Terminal.

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry if this question is answered in Pogue's Missing Manual, but I'm waiting for amazon to deliver it! :)

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! :) I didn't even know Apple had a downloads site like that for non-Apple products. Is that some assurance as to the quality of the software?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't think Apple guarantees the software (I'm quite sure there's a disclaimer at the download site), but I've never had big trouble with software downloaded from Apple - Mac OS X - Downloads.

PS! You get to the site from the Apple menu at the top left of your screen...

6. sammyjojo macrumors newbie

sammyjojo

Check out Fugu http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

Here's the headline from their page, and it looks like they have what you need. "Fugu - A Mac OS X SFTP, SCP and SSH Frontend", it's free too so your can't go wrong.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm not quite sure how you could have a "user-friendly" version of ssh that would be any simpler than opening terminal or iterm, given that ssh is a command line protocol. But I agree that Fugu is pretty nice for sftp use.

The best and most flexible program I've found for sftp/scp is gftp - but unfortunately there's not a stable OS X port (it's a Linux/Gnome application). You can get it via fink, and it works well - but it doesn't have quite the same "GUI goodness" of a native app.