User Guides and Information

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Celeron, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

There is a folder that appears in my main finder window when I select Macintosh HD. It's called "User Guides and Information" and in it were two PDF files that were basically copies of the manuals that came with my Powerbook. It appears to be an alias (i.e. Symlink) to Library:Documentation:User Guides and Information.

My question is, can I delete this alias? I really don't need an empty folder in m y main finder window. When I delete it prompts me for a password which makes me wonder if its used for something. It doesn't delete the actual directory, only the alias to it.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I don't have a folder with that name, either an alias or an actual folder in Library/Documentation/. The password prompt is probably just a permissions thing. The folder may have been put there by some installer to give you an easy way to find whatever's in that folder, and I extremely doubt that deleting it would cause any problems (if you're really worried then you could move it somewhere not so annoying so that it can be moved back if necessary).

Just some quick questions though: What OS version are you using, and what is in that folder (eg what applications/system things have put things there)?

3. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm running the latest version, 10.3.3. There was just two PDF files in it which appear to be copies of the manuals that I got with my new Powerbook. I've since deleted the alias, rebooted and all is still well.