Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aldyn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
okay, so I have fast user switching set up, and whenever i leave my computer, i put my computer to the logon screen just so noone can get on. is there a way to set a keyboard command to go to the logon screen?

i usually just go to my name in the top right, but i'm used to hitting windows+l on my pc, and was wondering if i can set up a keyboard shortcut on mac to go directly to the logon (locked) screen.

thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That will log you out..

However, you can set your Mac to require a passwod when woken from sleep or a screensaver by changing the settings in the Security preference pane in the System Preferences.

And you can tell your screensaver to come on automatically when you put your mouse cursor in a user specified corner of the screen via the Dashboard & Exposé preference pane.

So.. once everything is set up, jsut put your cursor in the (for example) lower left-hand corner of your screen and the screensaver comes on automatically, and if anyone moves the mouse, a password will be required to bypass it.

Aldyn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
yellow said:
That will log you out..

However, you can set your Mac to require a passwod when woken from sleep or a screensaver by changing the settings in the Security preference pane in the System Preferences.

And you can tell your screensaver to come on automatically when you put your mouse cursor in a user specified corner of the screen via the Dashboard & Exposé preference pane.

So.. once everything is set up, jsut put your cursor in the (for example) lower left-hand corner of your screen and the screensaver comes on automatically, and if anyone moves the mouse, a password will be required to bypass it.

hmmm okay that works. but there's not a way to define a keyshortcut to just switch to the fast user switching login screen?

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
you can just activate the keychain menu bar icon which if you click it and select lock screen it will activate the screen saver but require a password to revive it only from the screensaver that time

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I have hot corners and ask for password after sleep or screensaver turned on, so if I'm going to leave my desk I can just move the mouse into the corner, and it will ask me for a password when someone trys to use it.

Aldyn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Applespider said:
This little app will let you set a customised keyboard shortcut to get to the log-in window

oh wow, that worked amazingly! i just set it to option+l, since i was used to that. thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.