User Logon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aldyn, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Aldyn macrumors member

okay, so I have fast user switching set up, and whenever i leave my computer, i put my computer to the logon screen just so noone can get on. is there a way to set a keyboard command to go to the logon screen?

i usually just go to my name in the top right, but i'm used to hitting windows+l on my pc, and was wondering if i can set up a keyboard shortcut on mac to go directly to the logon (locked) screen.

thanks

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

shift - command - Q
    [edit]: thanks yellow, your way is better. Let me change my security prefs now...:)

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That will log you out..

However, you can set your Mac to require a passwod when woken from sleep or a screensaver by changing the settings in the Security preference pane in the System Preferences.

And you can tell your screensaver to come on automatically when you put your mouse cursor in a user specified corner of the screen via the Dashboard & Exposé preference pane.

So.. once everything is set up, jsut put your cursor in the (for example) lower left-hand corner of your screen and the screensaver comes on automatically, and if anyone moves the mouse, a password will be required to bypass it.

4. Aldyn thread starter macrumors member

hmmm okay that works. but there's not a way to define a keyshortcut to just switch to the fast user switching login screen?

5. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

you can just activate the keychain menu bar icon which if you click it and select lock screen it will activate the screen saver but require a password to revive it only from the screensaver that time

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This little app will let you set a customised keyboard shortcut to get to the log-in window

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I have hot corners and ask for password after sleep or screensaver turned on, so if I'm going to leave my desk I can just move the mouse into the corner, and it will ask me for a password when someone trys to use it.

8. Aldyn thread starter macrumors member

oh wow, that worked amazingly! i just set it to option+l, since i was used to that. thanks so much!