User question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by student_trap, May 20, 2005.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hey all. Ive beenwith my 12in powerbook for 2 weeks now and am absolutely loving it! just a quick question though, i recently installed Age of Mythology (using the administrator user of course), but can't access the game in any other user accounts (which are regular ones). So my question, as you have all guessed by now ;) is, how do i make this game available to the other users on my machine?

thanks in advance for any advice

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Did you install it in /Applications/ (the Applications folder which directly on your Macintosh HD (or whatever you've called your hard drive)) or in the ~/Applications/ folder (or somewhere else) in the home directory of the admin user?

If it's in /Applications then the usual wonder drug against all ills on a Mac, repairing permissions, might help...

3. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the quick reply, i am unsure what ~ means, but i think that i installed it in the regular apps area where everything else is. i didn't actually know that there was a seperate apps folder which was Hd specific. Also, should my itunes library be visable to all users, because at the moment it is only visable on the regular account in which i imported my Cd's, i'd like to be able to listen to tunes while in the administrator account if it is possible?

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

iTunes is just account specific, there might be a way around this, but since I'm at work and have to be on a POS Dell, and can't fiddle around for you.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The ~/ just means a users home folder:

You have one systemwide Applications folder (on / i.e. on the root directory of your HD) and each user has its own Applications folder (in ~/ i.e. their users home folder). All apps in the systemwide folder should be accessible for all users (if you haven't reduced the users privileges severely in System Preferences -> Accounts), while things in a users home folder is strictly off limits to all other users (i.e. an admin can gain access, but that's another discussion ;)).

So if Age of Mythology is in /Users/<youradminusername>/Applications and not /Applications then you will not be able to access it.

Same goes for your iTunes library, that is specific to the user creating it. But there are ways around it, by moving the iTunes Music folder out of your home folder and have it directly under / or maybe /Documents or a new /Music then all users can access the music files (but remember to turn off the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" option in iTunes preferences -> Advanced on all but your main users account, if not you're headed for trouble). It might be easier to just enable easy user switching and keep iTunes running from your regular account while your working in the admin account... ;)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say you can't access Age, do you mean you can't *find* it on the HD from another account, or it won't run? If your other users are "regular accounts" (no limitations), then they should be able to run any program the admin account installed in the main apps folder (which is where it sounds like you installed it).

If you can see it but cannot run it, then try repairing permissions from the disk utility program in the utlities folder. It might be that some necessary library or preference file is not available for your other users. Another thing to try is that if it won't run from another account, but you can see it, try to run it from the HD with the install CD/DVD in the drive. Sometimes it might want to verify ownership on the first run with the account. (?)

7. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks guys, i'm at work at the moment (also on a dell Wheezy), and will try out everything as soon as i get home. As a side Issue, can i install it so that i no longer need the disk, or is this impossible? also, could i copy MS Office 2004 so the origenal doesn't get scratched (the other users of my mac are not nearly as careful as me when it comes to Cd's)
    Thanks

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There's been a couple of threads on this in the Games forum...

Shouldn't be a problem. Actually the first thing I did when I got the Tiger DVD was to use Toast to make a copy and put the original back in the box for safe keeping.

9. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

if you go to system preferences then choose the account there should be a place where you can choose what apps the other accounts can use. im the only user on this mac so really cant say exactly where.

10. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

Ok so here's the deal, AofM is visable in the apps folder of my other (regular account), but when i try to run it, its starts, and about 3 or 4 seconds into it it comes up with a fault saying something about not having a certain file (can't remember exactly what it said as i am at work). i don't know whether this helps, but the program "unexpectedly quit" a couple of times in my administration account, while trying to load a saved game, and then on the third attempt continued as normal.

thanks for the replies so far, if i had to repair permissions, what is this and how would i do it (is it a big deal?)?