User Switching in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by infobhan, Apr 27, 2005.

1. infobhan macrumors member

In Panther, I have multiple users on my machine. I have the name of the active user appear in the upper right corner. Clicking on this brings up a list of users. I have not seen a single Tiger screenshot with the active user name displayed, either on Apple's site or here. Is this still an option? How does fast users switching work in Tiger? Where does the name appear relative to the Spotlight icon?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Among all the Tiger pages that didn't mention Fast User Switching, are you including this one?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/fastuserswitching/

:D

Seriously, I thought I heard someone mention that in Tiger, you can also reduce the FUS menu bar item to an icon, as opposed to a name, so that it doesn't take up too much space. :) But don't worry, it hasn't gone anywhere.

3. infobhan thread starter macrumors member

Ah, thanks! For some reason, most of the posters here don't seem to use it! Good to see it's still there and shifted over a bit for Spotlght.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can also re-arrange all of them, I think including Spotlight, by holding the Apple key, and dragging them around. I *think* this includes Spotlight, because I, alas, am not yet running Tiger. :(

I turn it on and off. I use it sometimes to log in as root and do administrative stuff. I'm kind of split on whether I should continue with the non-admin main account thing, though, in Tiger. Occasionally it seems to have some nuisances. Then again, if Tiger does let me have just a small icon for FUS in the menu bar, I might leave it on, as that's the primary reason I turn it off.