user swtiching

Discussion in 'macOS' started by derajfast, Nov 4, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    i just bought the new 17 iMac for my family, and ive never really used user names and stuff before....i want it to be everyone can share the same music, photos, videos, etc, but i just want them to have different prefs....preferably the same docks as well....i want to make everyone an administrator so they have equal access to everyones do i do this
  2. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    Most of the things you're asking for can be done in the system preferences under "Accounts". But I don't think there's an easy way to share all pics an movies, and have the same dock between accounts. Maybe .Mac? But it wouldn't make sense to buy an account to use within the same computer.
  3. strydr macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2005
    OK, I'm not a expert, but for the Dock, I think if you copy the Dock.plst to each user account, the dock should be the same. As far as sharing music, search the forums for the answer, it's in there several times. You might be able to relocate the iPhoto Library and iTunes library to the Shared folder(never tried this), then point iTunes/iPhoto there for its data. I think, by default, each user's data is locked from anyone else. You can change ownership of files, but I don't think you can have everyone read/change the file. I would suggest creating a folder with a SymLink in the shared folder (users/shared) on each desktop, that way, anything you want shared, can be droped into this folder. I would also suggest not having everyone be a Admin. Even with a Mac, this can have negative results.
  4. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    well thats if i want to have the same itunes music as my broter then i have to copy it twice to the harddrive so we can both access it? that doesnt make sense.....and i searched the forums and cant really find much....ithink user preferences havet o be addressed in the next OS. for both windows and mac, there are serious flaws in it
  5. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    strydr made a good point, if you place the libraries in a shared folder, then all users should be able to listen to that music/see those photos. What I can't figure out is how to get the actual app synced. My point is, once you add a new song, it will be added to the library folder and to the iTunes of the user who added it, but not to the app of the other users. That would've to be done manually I think.

Maybe someone could help more than me :)
  6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    well what about iphoto? i cant designate where the files come from, so how do i share the pictres?
  7. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    well i cant move the directory if i want front row to work i guess ill just have 1 user then
  8. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    I was just playing a bit in iTunes and iPhoto, and I noted that both apps have a tab under the preferences called "Sharing". I'm not sure how does it work, but I'm guessing that by enabling it, other users will be able to see a item called "Your name's shared music/photos". So you should try turning it on, then go to another user's account, open iTunes/iPhoto, and see if it's there on the "Source" menu (the one on the left).

Tell us your results.
  9. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    My wife and I share an iMac. I have all the music and iPhoto libraries under my account and I 'share' them through iPhoto and iTunes with her. If she has any phot's/music, she can share them to me. They all appear in each other's source list, on the left of iTunes and iPhoto. This seems to work fine.

For shared docs, this should be a simple as putting them in the 'shared' folder and maybe making sure everyone has equal read/write permissions.
  10. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Here are explicit instructions on sharing a single iPhoto library among multiple users. Its a MacOS 10.4-only solution, since it leverages the new Access Control List (ACL) features provided by Tiger.

I imagine this is easily adaptable to the other i-Libraries.
  11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    itunes can be shared among multiple users. If you have one user set up with all the music now (or no one set up), Move the "Music" folder (under the user name) to the "Shared" folder.

Then, make an an "Alias" of that folder. Place it under the user directory (where the "original music folder" was before you moved it, and re-name it "Music". It will point to the music directory under the shared folder. Repeat this last step only for each user, and then you'll all be using the same itunes library. One set of songs for one group of people. Very efficient, works well for me.
  12. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    but then i cant use frontrow which is annoying
  13. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    I set my system up so that there is no login on startup. Any member of my family can use the computer because there is only one account. All files are open to use. This was a major bitch for me when jumping to OS X. I for one don't like logging in for access to MY computer, besides I have nothing to hide from my family and to me it just interupts the startup process. I think the whole accounts idea is BS. It reminds me of corporate PC computers.