Users, Groups & Permissions HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmcneil, Aug 16, 2003.

1. mmcneil macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I am currently running a mixed environment of Macs (all OS X) and Windows in a Printing Business. For all sorts of reasons I need to be able to share files across computers. I have created the same users on all computers however it is clear that they have been created with different UIDs (I am UNIX-aware). I cannot find anywhere in OSX where I can set UIDs to ensure that they are common across the network. I cannot find anywhere where I can create and manage groups.

Once I have OSX working well I need the Windoze machines to create files that also abide by the same read/write rules. Essentially all files created on all machines need to be read/write by all others.

Part of this has been exacerbated by the failure of 1 iMac that was acting as my server thus necessitating moving my disk farm to another OS X machine.

As we said in Unix Land - Permissions, Permissions, Permissions - It is bedeviling me.

Any help out there?

2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    go open netinfo manager in the utilities folder in the appllications folder. you can set UID's there. but i dont advise setting someone UID to 0 to make them root user, really confuses Mac os X last time i did it. if you look in one of the pull down menus you can see a option to activate root user.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Netinfo Manager, under /Applications/Utilities. You can manage groups and users there. The user entry shows the uid and gid.

Netinfo is Apple's way of doing directory services. I only have a single Mac, so I have no way of trying it, but I know you should be able to set up a Netinfo server and have all the other machines refer to it.