Uses for Fink...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SasyBabe, May 11, 2003.

1. SasyBabe macrumors member

SasyBabe

2. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Re: Uses for Fink...

Fink is the program that allows you to run Unix software on the Mac. The only program that I currently use is the Gimp. I don't quite have the money for Photoshop.

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Re: Re: Uses for Fink...

When I try to install Gimp, I get too options telling me to install xfree86. Do you know if it is ok to do this. I am using Apples x11 app.

4. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: Re: Re: Uses for Fink...

When you download fink, it comes with the dselect package manager as well. From here, after Apple's X11 is installed, install the package called xfree-system or something (from memory). If you don't choose this, it will want to install the whole X86 thing itself which is a bit pointless if you have it already. And yeah, I only use it for The GIMP too.

5. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I run mine under xfree86, but it should work for you. If I remember, X11 is Apple's version of xfree. Can you get the program to run at all? Or have you even got that far yet.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to download the Apple X11 SDK before installing system-x11 under gimp (as suggested above). The SDK is about 5Mb in size and contains the header files requried for applications to run under X11. The standard X11 download only contains the user part. I have The Gimp from fink running under Apple X11 after doing this.