Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aeronautical, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Aeronautical macrumors member

May 8, 2005
    HI all, I just bought a used G3 PowerBook (pismo) 500mhz, 20gb hard drive, airport card, and infra red port (IRDA).
    Are there any uses for the infra red capability? Are there any devices I can use the port to connect wirelessly to?
    Or has it been made obselete by airport and bluetooth? I've searched the forums on this topic but couldn't find the info I needed so any ideas are really appreciated!
  2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Well, there are some older printers that will work over I/R... some of the slightly older Palms/PocketPC devices still have I/R... a lot of cell phones had I/R for awhile. You could also try to rig up some custom setup to use a universal remote control for things on your computer, like DVD playback, presentation software, etc.
  3. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Jun 23, 2005
    Tells you just how quickly technology evolves... IRDA was just prior to wireless and bluetooth wasn't it?
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    IRDA was used predominantly between 1996-2000, when they realized it was pointless compared to 802.11b. It's slow, short-range, and you need clear line-of-sight. I think the most common use for a PowerBook would be filesharing (Apple had a great idea that people on airplanes and busses would want automatic file sharing, really just a fun way to pass the time, but what do you really want to share with strangers like that?) with other 'books, or using an IR printer. But yeah, it's entirely pointless now, good only for the novelty factor (and universal remote controlling, which can be fun)
  5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Ew - Unsafe computer. Never know what you could pick up... :p

Folks have also used IrDA to do fun things with Furbys as well - apparently the newer ones have been hacked pretty good, so a little Web searching would give you the correct hardware interface codes.
  6. vga4life macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    The most useful thing is to sync a palmpilot. Every PalmOS device since the Palm III supports syncing via IR.

Some printers from the late '90s supported IR printing as well.

Beyond that, yeah, IRDA is a relic for most people.
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Just for all ya people out there, it is IrDA. And you can use it with a fair number of Windows laptops out there, which still come with it. All my friends were bummed when my PowerBook didn't have it and I was saying to them: "What? No Bluetooth? Sheesh!"
  8. Aeronautical thread starter macrumors member

May 8, 2005
    Great replies thanks. I think that i just realised that the infra red on my pismo is a pretty much a defunct thing now. Now if I just had a PDA .... (i hope I got that abbreviation right, personal digital assistant?)
  9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes that's correct. In this context nobody would have taken it to mean "public display of affection."
  10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    don't TV remotes use infrared?

His PowerBook could be a GIANT remote control!!

Try to loose a PowerBook in the couch cushions. It's impossible unless it's a 12" and you have one SWEET, fluffy couch. :p
  11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    I remmeber that i could turn on my 6500 with a tv remote........
  12. wheezy macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    Infrared can be great fun with a nice pair of Night Vision Goggles. Of course, the fun only lasts a minute or two....
  13. fgersch macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2005
    It has it's uses

Problem is, a lot of niche products use Infra Red as a communications medium. I think it's because it's cheap and simple to use. For example I have an altimeter which records skydives. The software is available to use the data, but I can't find an infrared adaptor for my powerbook. The other one is serial devices. There's still a lot of these out there. Would be good to have ways to access the data.

If anyone knows of an adaptor available please let me know.