Uses for this old PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Patmian212, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Sorry for starting another PC thread but i need some advice.
    My friend just got a new PC and he doesnt need his old one anymore. I'm a computer buff so I dont want him to throw it away! So I offered to take it of his hands.
    I dont know what to do with it its pretty old, all I want you guys to do is to list what uses you would have for such a computer if you got it.

HP Pavilion 8515

Pentium 3 500-700mhz(one of the two forgot which one)
    64-128 MB RAM (forgot which of the two :p )
    8 MB Vram
    DvD rom
    20gb HD

Windows 98 and XP

Sorry for being vague about the stats :p

2. Pierre Films macrumors member

Pierre Films

It can still be used as a good MP3 and DVD machine. I wouldnt call it a great gaming machine though. I had one with much lower specs that I used for MP3s and DVDs for quite a few years before I upgraded finally :p . My mom had one of similar specs although it had a CD-RW drive. It can be good for an everyday PC.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Pierre Films

P.S. Please check your PMs....please :(

3. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

Hey, that's ok. First thing I would do is take Windows XP off of that machine, its to intensive for it. You could maybe play some of the old DOS games or other old games on it.

4. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

up the ram if possible to 512 if not 256, keep windows XP on it, get rid of 98, if you have a extra better vid card around use it if possible. You can still play some good games on that and windows XP should run fine on it with 256mb ram.

OR

Give it to me :p

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Toss Linux on it and use it as a file server or even a webserver. My webserver runs off of a old 450MHz Dell. Only one or two people ever hit it at once so it does the job quite nicely. I wouldn't something like Amazon.com off of it tho :p :)

6. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Im not very experienced with linux but what linux version would you suggest as easy to use and which runs fairly well on the specs above

7. jim. macrumors 6502

8. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I'm running XP on an old P2 350 with 256 mb ram and it works fine. If and when it gets overwhelmed with spyware or a virus, i'll reinstall XP and start over.

XP is not that bad. It runs itunes, firefox, recognizes my shuffle, burns CDs easily and is cheep. My pbook is my main computer for anything important, but if you have it, give it a try.

9. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I have Fedora Core 2 installed. It installed pretty effortlessly. Mandriva (formally Mandrake Linux) is an excellent distro as well.

I would recommend getting Knoppix Linux to try out, but I'm afraid it may not run on your machine... its worth a try if you have a faster box around. It is a LiveCD meaning you pop in the CD, boot it up, play with it and then go back to Windows without having to install a single thing.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Knoppix ran on a K6/2 that we have with similar specs. Damn Small Linux is probably a better bet, though.

But to be honest, every time I've embarked on one of these projects, I've eventually decided it wasn't worth the bother and moved on. Unless you have a user in mind, getting it to run happily on Linux or somesuch is really just a chance to play around. If you have use for a fileserver, that might be a different story. But then again, getting a network hard drive that plugs into your router will be a lot easier...since you'd need a bigger drive anyway.

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Put Linux on it, and learn it well. The industry is moving that direction as we all know. But it'd be good for a file server of MP3's

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

how would one go about setting up a machine like this to be a file server for MP3s?

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Use it as a network server if you have one...

i.e., keep XP and setup your network to access the PC so you have a 20 GB Computer for music, movies, etc... and you can store stuff on it and hook stuff up to it...

14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

A nice big paperweight or a platform for some potplants... :p

aussie_geek

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you use XP, is it hard to get around the fact that MacOS will not write to NTFS partitions? Do you have to repartition your HD so that you have a FAT partition?

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If the two computers are networked, it doesn't matter what format their hard drives are in. When you access files on the other computer through the network, the other computer takes care of the low level hard drive access, so it makes no difference if the drive in the XP machine is NTFS or FAT32. It works the other way too. Windows machines can't write to (or even read) HFS+ (Mac) formatted hard drives natively, but networking is no problem.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhhh, gotcha. That makes sense. The only computers I've really run mine off network with were running Win 98. :eek:

18. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

try these OSes
    Solaris 10
    sllyable
    ReactOS
    MenuetOS
    try to get opendarwin running on it.

19. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you beat me to it!

20. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I say Solaris 10 would be the best one to try/use/evaluate on your computer.

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Put any Open source software on it..

Play around with making it a File server, and or a Share server for Music that your Macintosh computers can connect to..

I have a Pentium 2 300 MHZ in my network that I use as a Firewall.

It works great!!

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My suggestion would be to use the PC to help MacRumors and gene research into disease treatment. Please see my signature.

23. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Donate it to a non for profit organization, like an after school program or something. Also, lots of hobbyist clubs and workshops like having old machines around for parts...you could donate to one of those as well.

24. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

In my expierence most schools want the full working computer i.e. keyboard, mouse, licesened software, and case. Although in casese a monitor as well. Just a heads up.

25. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Install FreeBSD on it, play around with that, try setting it up as a ftp/web/file server and learn a bit about handeling a *nix system from scratch... an added bonus is that you will learn what's driving OS X at the same time, since FreeBSD and Darwin are really close relatives... ;)