Using 24" Sony widescreen monitors w/G4 MMDs:

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by D*I*S_Frontman, Mar 22, 2003.

1. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for advice from the super-techno hardware power users out there regarding the use of Sony GDM W900 monitors with a new Mac system.

Before some of you start slamming the idea ("why would you want those huge radioactive behemoths! Get a 20" Cinema or a 23" Cinema HD and be done with it!") please understand the following:

1) I have the desk real estate for two 24" 16:10 monitors

2) I can get them off-lease for $700 each. @ 1900 x 1200 apiece, that's the productive screen equivalent to TWO 23" Cinema HDs for $600 LESS than ONE Apple HD display. Bang for the buck, bigtime.

3) I tend to like the color and off-axis viewing of CRT over an LCD anyway (although the gap is rapidly closing).

Having said that, here is my technical dilemma. The stock ATI Radeon 9000 and the optional NVidia GeForce4 Ti both support 1900 x 1200 CRT resolutions. OS X, however, does not seem to support anything beyond 1600 x 1200 for CRTs. I emailed Sony, ATI, and NVidia. Sony said "ask the card maker," ATI gave me nothing conclusive, and NVidia (who gave me the best attention, BTW) stated conclusively that the Ti supports it and that OS X is the stumblingblock.

What would be the best strategy for making this work? Will I need two cards? Is there a reliable hack I could use to enable the higher CRT widescreen resolutions? I fear that Apple might be artifically cripping their systems to prevent this very thing, and I want to get around it. Anyone out there using one or two Sony GDM W900s successfully with a MMD G4 system?

Thanks for your help.

2. irobot75 macrumors newbie

HD resolution.....

Doesn't the HD CINEMA display offer 1900x1200 resolution.

The same as the Sony, I also considered this monitor because of its analog input. I could plug in a High Definition TV converter box and watch full resolution HD.

This is something you cannot do (yet) with the digital dislpays.

I.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

sorry to be a little off topic but any chance you can get me a 24in CRT for that price too?

4. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Sorry for being no help, But I currently using a dual G4 500 running 2 19" CRT mitsubitshi. Usuing the ATI rage whichis fairly dated now. But works ok. Using the Formac Graphics card which sucks a little, guess its to do with the PCI but fairly happy. But sorry as I said before that I wasnt able to help... :p

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

6. D*I*S_Frontman thread starter macrumors 6502

"sorry to be a little off topic but any chance you can get me a 24in LCd for that price too?"

These are CRTs. No way anyone can get a 24" LCD HD display for $700--unless, of course, you are buying a non-functional one for spare parts/scrap.

I have checked out the link you have provided and will continue looking for the right answer.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

my mistake, i just woke up, but im still interested if possible evn thought i doubt it.

8. D*I*S_Frontman thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump

Still hoping for some more help/advice...

9. zac4mac macrumors 6502

zac4mac

Only light I can shed - I've seen one of those monitors. A gal in Grafix/Marketing got one for her new DP1GHz last year. It didn't work for squat(no native resolution to fill the screen on OS 9 or X, hot/cold spots all over the screen), and after fighting with it for a month, sent it back and got a 22" ACD.

Glad Apple dropped their prices, 1500 for a 22" got me to make the move, really shames my old 20" Trinitron.

10. D*I*S_Frontman thread starter macrumors 6502

Will the new ATI 9700 make dual 24" widescreen CRTs work?