Using a 2009 27" iMac as external monitor with a 2011 Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maccauni, Aug 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Apologies if this information or question is elsewhere but I can't seem to find an answer.

My question is can I use my mini DisplayPort equipped 27" iMac as a monitor with my 2011 13" Air?

If so what kind of cable will I need? thunderbolt to miniDisplayPort or just a mini DisplayPort to mini Displayport cable.

thanks in advance.

2. macrumors member

bump for exact same question

3. macrumors member

4. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Should be mini-display port to mini-displayport. You only need a Thunderbolt cable if you are hooking up a Thunderbolt accessory or display.

5. thread starter macrumors member

In this video the guy says that the cable has to be a thunderbolt cable but crucially speaks way too fast when talking about if the iMac has a mini display port.

6. thread starter macrumors member

So I just called apple tech support and they confirmed it needs to be a thunderbolt cable (or a mini display port - thunderbolt cable, which i don't think exist).

Pretty disappointed mini display port to a mini display port doesn't work.

7. macrumors 65816

Your computers should be networked together. Instead of using a cable why not just use "Screen Sharing"?

8. macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

FYI I tried this setup with a TB cable and it didn't work. I think it needs to be MDP - MDP.

9. macrumors 68000

richpjr

Well that blows... I have a 27" iMac and recently picked up a MBA. I was going to try hooking the MBA to the iMac this weekend!