Using a 2009 27" iMac as external monitor with a 2011 Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maccauni, Aug 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Jan 28, 2009
    Apologies if this information or question is elsewhere but I can't seem to find an answer.

My question is can I use my mini DisplayPort equipped 27" iMac as a monitor with my 2011 13" Air?

If so what kind of cable will I need? thunderbolt to miniDisplayPort or just a mini DisplayPort to mini Displayport cable.

thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors member

May 22, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
  3. macrumors member

Jan 28, 2011
  4. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    Should be mini-display port to mini-displayport. You only need a Thunderbolt cable if you are hooking up a Thunderbolt accessory or display.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 28, 2009
    In this video the guy says that the cable has to be a thunderbolt cable but crucially speaks way too fast when talking about if the iMac has a mini display port.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 28, 2009
    So I just called apple tech support and they confirmed it needs to be a thunderbolt cable (or a mini display port - thunderbolt cable, which i don't think exist).

Pretty disappointed mini display port to a mini display port doesn't work.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2010
    Your computers should be networked together. Instead of using a cable why not just use "Screen Sharing"?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2005
    FYI I tried this setup with a TB cable and it didn't work. I think it needs to be MDP - MDP.
  9. macrumors 68000

May 9, 2006
    Well that blows... I have a 27" iMac and recently picked up a MBA. I was going to try hooking the MBA to the iMac this weekend!