Using a 2nd hard drive inside a Dual G5 question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shitzkrieg, Mar 13, 2006.

1. shitzkrieg macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2006
    I have a dual 1.8 GHz G5 that came with an 80GB hard drive. I bought a Serial-ATA 300GB hard drive for backing up files and to place in my old external enclosure. I did not realize that this drive would not fit in the enclosure. I then had to put the 300GB drive inside my G5 as a second drive.

My question is since the 300GB drive is internal now whats the chances of the drive being wiped out if my start-up 80GB drive crashes? Is it better that take the 300GB drive out and make it external. I want to use the 300GB to back-up my files and avoid buying a new enclosure.

If needed to make my 300GB drive external does anyone recommend any good Serial-ATA enclosures?

Thanks in advance...
  2. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Internal or external, it doesn't matter. Unless you want to carry it about with you, in which case external is handy. :p If your old drive crashes your 2nd drive is at no associated risk. A power surge or the like could be a different story though. It'd probably wipe the external too actually.

Personally, I like the idea of having two drives in the one tower. You can clone your main drive to the 2nd one and in the event that it craps out, you boot from the back up and away you go. It helps if they're identical but backing up from the 80gig to the 300 should pose no problems. You could partition it and use it for various archives, etc. :)

Why can't Apple make consumer level tower desktops!? I say bring back the G4 Quicksilver! :D