Using a bluetooth phone as a modem

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by afields, Nov 22, 2004.

1. afields macrumors 6502

afields

Anybody have experiences using a phone as a modem for your computer? I'm considering doing this while a travel for a bit. I would like to able to surf the internet wirelessly while my bluetooth phone is on. Please share what phone you have, and what computer. I'd also like to know how fast it is. thanks.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I get speeds ~20kbps using a Nokia 3650 and T-Mobile t-zones pro setup. The problem is that connections, while "free" - no bandwidth cost - are often cut off abruptly.

3. afields thread starter macrumors 6502

afields

Are you talking about on your phone or on your computer? I'm trying to see if I can use the bluetooth connection on the phone to be online using my computer.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm talking about using my phone as a BT modem for my computer.

5. budugu macrumors 6502

As mentioned earlier the real problem is the dropped connections. I used T610 with pb/ib on Tmobile -unlimited internet.. the set up was a breeze and tmobile service was good. the best part is that tmobile only prorates for the amount of time you keep the service!

6. afields thread starter macrumors 6502

afields

How much is it a month?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

tzones pro is $10/month. Plans start at $30/month, but mine is $40/month - meaning $50/month total.

AT&T has better connectivity (so I hear) but charges outrageous amounts for usage. T-Mobile's $10/month covers internet usage from the phone, SMS messages, etc. - and the BT use as a modem is no extra charge. For occasional use, as long as you don't mind reconnecting often (or not - depends on when you connect) it's a great deal.

8. afields thread starter macrumors 6502

afields

Thanks! Last question, what type of phone do you have? I'm considering the motorola v600 or the sony t610 right now.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

budugu used the Sony, so you know that'll work. I assume most if not all newer BT phones will be fine.

10. newton213 macrumors member

I have a Sony Ericsson with T-Mobile service, and had to use it with my iMac G3 with USB bluetooth adapter a while back. I had to wait about a month and a half before I could get DSL or a phone line or anything installed at my place, but had heard all about unlimited use from T-Mobile for just ten bucks a month, yada yada. Well, I signed up for it, and it was pretty slow and flaky, I'd say it felt like using AOL about five or six years ago with a 14kbs modem. Lots of disconnects. BUT, at the end of the month when I got my phone bill, they'd over charged me $1,800 BUCKS! Somehow in the account they hadn't gotten the unlimited usage, and were charging me like I was using the internet ON my phone, and the rate was PER MB! Anyways, got that straightened out. Ended up using the phone with my new eMac with built in BT a few months later for a couple days. Setup on the computer was pretty easy, the biggest problem was getting transferred all around T-Mobile tech support and customer service to get my phone account setup and enabled. Nobody knew what the heck I was talking about. The only possible way I could see myself using it again was if I had an iBook or PowerBook and needed the 'net WHILE I was driving around or something, otherwise it's technically pretty cool, sounds really neat, made my nerd level go up a few notches, but it's SO SLOW it isn't worth the trouble. Good luck!

11. lalcan macrumors regular

Well, down here (Mexico) the only option is Telcel (some sort of local AT&T) and it's not that bad, the speed is similar to that of a 28.8 kbps modem and setting it up works like a charm (with either an iMac G4 or an iBook G3 {both with Jaguar and Panther} with either a T68i or a K700i). AFAIK the Moto V600 is not as compatible as the Sony Ericsson mobiles, ie it can´t sinchronize with iSync so if you are planning to use it that way, i guess your best option is a S-E phone.

Depending on your needs, perhaps a better option could be using a Palm to access internet, check mail, even instant-messaging, since it can use a proxy-translated browsing it's quite speedier than surfing with a laptop.

But any way you make it is quite cool and it will surely draw attention ;-) Just make sure to get a good deal with your provider or you´ll have to sell both laptop and mobile to pay the bill :rolleyes:

12. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Sprint Vision

Bluetooth modem : ppp : dial "#777" : (vision username)/(vision pass) = 28.8k connection unlimited time. I use the sony ericssom T608 w/ a PBG4/1G15". Fast enough for email. supports AIM. https and a bunch of other ports. almost 100% works

13. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Don't know if you have gprs over there but gprs offers a slightly better connection rate and is usually bundled into your contract as some free data calls. Orange over here offer 1mb for £4 even on pay-as-you-go, GPRS offeres about the same connection speed as 33.6kbps but the lag to the first hop is immense, same with any radio technology.

I have just ordered one of these babies: Vodafone 3G Card My freind has one and usually has download rates of 35kbps thats like wireless broadband!! its amazing!