using a classic iMac as a monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scem0, Oct 29, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Is this possible? I have a Powermac 450 MHz AGP. Is there anyway I can hook up my REvision D classic iMac (333 mHz) to t, and use the iMacs monitor as the powermac's monitor?

Help is appreciated,
    thanks.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: using a classic iMac as a monitor

Actually ther is but it is not simple. Find the instructions on how to upgrade the ram. You can find this at Apples support site. In the process of dissasembly they show unplugging the monitor. It is just a standard RGB plug that you could get an extender for and plug into your computer if you have an additional monitor out.

3. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Dang, my monitor just went out, and I really needed it to set up a network. Oh well, I guess it is new monitor time... Good and bad ;)

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I've been doing serious research on monitors of late. Mainly because I'm selling my old computer and the matching monitor with it (that's the one I'm using at this moment). Here's what I have found.

Viewsonic = Good monitor fairly good reviews but highly overated specs.
    Sony= Good monitor unbelievable picture with recent rash of poor geometry.
    Hitachi= Good to Excellent monitor not many poor points.
    NEC/Mitsubishi=Awesome monitor, great picture, great reviews, low failure, good price.

Check this one out. This is the one I plan on getting.

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/ProductDetail.cfm?product_id=249&division=NEC

I find that LCDs are just highly overated at this point. To get one that even approaches the quality of a good 19" CRT that costs about $300USD you have to pay upwards of $1200. Even at that price they are still much slower and have a much smaller screen area (size possibilities).