Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hower1k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
I have a major dilemma I have a 2tb itunes library and I'm starting to worry about disk failures. Should I turn my G4 power mac into a server or just purchase a drobo.

I'm going to just load about 4tb into the G4 and have 2 2tb partitions one will be used for backup and one will be used to serve the media, any help would be great.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You could just use Disk Utility to set the drives in a RAID 1 array. Then they maintain a mirror image of each other. I am assuming you will be purchasing new drives so you can format them in this array when installing OS X.

Given that you are putting the drives in the computer the only reason to do a main drive and backup drive is if you want a backup in case of accidentally deleting a file. The main advantage of the RAID 1 is that you have an exact mirror image so any changes are reflected on both drives simultaneously.

Seriously though with that much data investment. I would do a RAID 1 array inside the G4 then perform monthly backups to an external drive. Which would then be stored in a fire resistant safe, or better yet. After all you could have redundancy across 50 hard drives and still be useless if the computer is stolen, destroyed by fire or other incident.

I really like having a central iTunes server as all computers can access the iTunes library and any computer can have its own playlists. By the way only allow one iTunes copy the privilege of organizing the library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.