Using a GameCube and a Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sethypoo, Jan 1, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

A question.....

I own a Nintendo GameCube system that was a gift to me a couple years ago that has since fallen into neglect.....I'd like to start playing it again, but being a college student and lacking extra cash for my own TV, I was wondering if there is a way to use my 12" PowerBook G4 as a screen to play my GameCube on. The GameCube uses RCA jacks (the red, white, and yellow plugs) to plug into any TV or VCR that has the appropriate ports.

Does anyone know how I could possibly accomplish this? Maybe with the VGA port on the PowerBook? (A note: I own the 1st revision 12" PowerBook G4). Thanks!

Seth

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

There is no way to do it thats cheaper than buying a new TV. You would need a firewire capture device, usb doesnt have the bandwitdh. And usually there is a little bit of lag, which makes gaming a pain.

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah, ditto. don't bother. you can get yrself a nice little TV for like 50 bucks if you look.

4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Also, the VGA port is an output, not an input. It's there so you can use an external display, not so something else can use the display on your computer. Some systems even have an S-video port, once again, that is for output, not input.

5. chv400 macrumors 6502

USB would be okay as long as you don't try to do anything with a 4 way split screen. I did a similar thing on my blue and white G3 a while ago with a USB device. The only set back is that the bandwidth of USB keeps the resolution down to about 320x240 but you are able to double the size on screen it just has a slight blocky look. I never did notice a lag.

6. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Where might I get a "USB capture" device?

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I would really recommend staying away from this for now. USB is S-L-O-W and further more, you'll spend @ $100 for a really crappy one. Then what? You'll be able to play your Gamecube games in a 3 inch box in the middle of your screen hoping to not experience any delay during a boss battle?!? This just silly. It's a waste of money and a waste of a Gamecube. Why not sell it and get a Gameboy Advance, you'll end up with the same performance. Seriously, just go buy a cheap little T.V.. This really isn't worth your trouble.

8. chv400 macrumors 6502

I used a Belkin Video Bus II it was about $89 there is also an EyeTV out there but i'm not sure who makes it. The Belkin Video Bus II only works in OS9 and Classic doesn't work. You'd probably be best off with a T.V. Idon't know of any thing recent but i know that the last time i checked Eye TV cost almost 200$

9. aldo macrumors regular

The USB interface does not care what it is encoding. If there is lag, it will lag on all of it and not just a certain part when the video gets busy. All that will happen (if anything) is that the quality will drop.

USB is 11mbit/sec which can be sustained.

DVDs average 4mbit/sec and the specification for MPEG2 only allows a bitrate of between 2mbit and 8mbit/sec.

So basically what I'm saying as long as it's encoded as MPEG2 or MPEG4 USB is fine for video capture.

However, I'm not sure if any of these USB capture devices capture via MPEG2.

10. chv400 macrumors 6502

USB inputs are sold at Club Mac (www.clubmac.com) they start at about 79$

I have never seen any USB device run at 11mbits per sec if anything the fastest i've seen is about 1-1.5MB

11. Wombatronic macrumors newbie

1.5MB = 12Mb.

happy to help :)

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

13. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I know, I wasn't speaking literally. I just meant that I don't see the point in figuring out way of squeezing low-quality video through an expensive USB device. The Gamecube is an awesome little machine with some good graphics. It deserves a TV, even a little cheap one. :)

14. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Re: Brand spankin' new 13" color TV for $90

I've done some looking around also, and have found some decent deals.

I won't spend $50 on a TV. One that cheap will break in a week.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Seth

15. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I bought a sanyo from walmart, 13" for 60 bucks 3 years ago, its still going strong. I really think you will be unhappy with gaming through the computer.

16. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Just buy a cheap TV...but make sure it has RCA/video ins. Sometimes cheap Tvs have no RCA/video ins.

17. chv400 macrumors 6502

If you happen to have a CRT monitor you could get a VGA converter box from Best Buy for 49.95 and use the CRT as a screen.