using a gift card for itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by christiancman, Dec 18, 2006.

1. christiancman macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2006
    is it necessary to register with i tunes and give your credit card info to redeem a gift card?
  2. The Reg macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Unless Apple has changed the process, I have never had to enter a credit card and I buy from the iTunes store quite regularly with Gift Cards only. As far as registering with iTunes, I believe you have to if you plan to purchase any of the DRM' d music or videos. The assumption is that when you authorize an account to play your purchased content, it must have a registered name to match.
    I was able to use my AIM account to register with the iTunes store. So no need to purchase .Mac! Hope this helps. ;)
  3. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    There is never a need to purchase .mac. You need to have a name associated with the purchase whether it be gift card or other. It would benefit anyone to do it - especially if they lose the music in a HD crash...Apple has in the past give folks a 1st time bye on helping out in that situation. As far as the apprehension of the credit card - there are worse options out there to give that data to, I am not 100% sure you need to give it to them if you have a gift card. I usually just redeem the card and it shows up in my account. You can use pay pal or other optins if it must have a payment source.
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You do have to register a username/password with iTunes to redeem a gift card. That requires a name and address for you although there's no validation to ensure that it's you.

If you're redeeming a gift card, you don't need to enter any other form of payment details. Be sure to enter the redemption code and then register - if you try registering beforehand, it will insist you enter payment details.