Using a laptop as external keyboard/monitor

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by overcoat, Jun 29, 2005.

1. overcoat macrumors newbie

Hi all. Just joined the forum so be gentle.

I've got a 12" G4 Powerbook which so far has been fine for all my needs. I now have the chance to get an extremely cheap dual G4 desktop box (i.e. sans monitor, keyboard, ...) but I've got a bit of a problem. I've just sold my desktop PC due to lack of room and so I don't really want to go out and get a monitor and desk for the dual G4. On the other hand I don't want to pass up the opportunity of a cheap powerful machine. So...

...is it possible to use my laptop as an external keyboard/monitor for the dual G4? I know I could telnet in but I really want to use the desktop GUI as though I had a normal keyboard/monitor. I've thought about a VNC connection but I think that's going to be far too slow.

Thanks for any advice/hints.

overcoat

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

In a word... no.

Due to proprierty connections between laptop screens and the motherboards and keyboards and the motherboards this is a lost cause. I'm sorry!!

3. overcoat thread starter macrumors newbie

:( Thanks anyway.

In that case my only option would be Apple Remote desktop? I believe it's the fastest option of the VNCs. The speed would be limited by the network connection of the laptop (10/100Base-T) and it'd be a direct connection between the two so it'd be dedicated. Does anyone know what kind of performance I could expect?