using a low quality img/logo

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by phadam, Sep 30, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I have a small gif image that was handed to me to be used on some large format high quality pictures for some advertisements. The image/logo is pretty small and I was wondering if there was any way to trace the image or somehow get a better quality logo file out it. The owner of the logo stated that the original artist/designer that made the logo "lost the files".. :rolleyes: just wondering if there was anything I could do on my end. Logo is attached if it helps to see the logo

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Nothing you can do other then re-create it. No magic tool to make a vector from a small gif.

3. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

+1

I would inform the client that "losing the files" will require you to charge a "finders fee" otherwise known as "re-creating the artwork".

If they want the logo to look like the example you provided at least you can use that as a template, which should make it easier on you. But I still would imagine this will take a number of hours to re-create and it should not come cheap.

4. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You'll have to retrace in Illustrator, not a quick task...

Upsampled GIF look bad...

5. macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like the person is trying to steal a low resolution proof.

6. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I considered that or the previous designer left on bad terms, thus why they "lost" the artwork.

7. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Or the artwork is sitting in a CD somewhere and they're just too lazy to look for it.

And estimate of $500 to re-create the logo might compel them to look a little harder.

8. macrumors regular

thanks for the responses. I didn't think there was anything I could really do besides recreate the logo myself, so this is a good confirmation. thanks for the help.