Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
I was looking at Newtons and I was wondering, is it at all possible to take notes in class with one? I need a good excuse to buy a Newton, and it would be great if the little guy was good enough to take notes on. I'm a college student and I think this could be really helpful! Thanks!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Personally, I have seen people use Newtons to take notes in class, but on rare occassions. I think to get it working you would have to open a text doc. within the newton and manually inscribe the letters one at a time, which would really tick me off.

Why not bring your Firewire iBook to class? I think that would be a lot easier overall to take notes using the iBook, where you can type some 40+ wpm, rather than using a Newton, which only gives you maybe half that.

When I plan to go to college in a little over a year from now I plan on bringing a Titanium Powerbook (or my Firewire iBook, if I do not get a G4 replacement) to take notes. I can see what I type, since I have poor handwriting, and I have the convience of bringing a portable supercomputer with me to class. :D :cool:

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Trust me, if you bring a laptop to class, taking notes would be the last thing you'd be doing. Laptops are waaaay too bulky to take notes on and palmtops have crap handwriting recognition. The only thing I've found laptops to be useful for is to write essays and lab reports during those long, dull, lulls between classes or after class. THAT really helps because you can concentrate more when you sit in a quiet place, unwired from the internet (the biggest evil when you're working on a tight deadline).

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
I would bring my Laptop to class but its way to flashy and I dont want people always looking at it and stuff. Id be really worried about messing it up in someway. With a Newton, would it recognize my writing and write it down as quick as I could write someting down on paper?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
you are better off just buying cheap notebooks (with paper) and writing your notes down on them instead, and scribble only so that you can barely read so you can get as much down as possible and then type it neatly and organized into your computer...this is also a good way to study because you are reviewing the information that you will need to know

richierich

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
london
you are better off just buying cheap notebooks (with paper) and writing your notes down on them instead, and scribble only so that you can barely read so you can get as much down as possible and then type it neatly and organized into your computer...this is also a good way to study because you are reviewing the information that you will need to know

I agree, this is the definitely the best way, as if you stuggle a bit to read your writing, once you have decyphered it you would have learnt it! I have a Newton 120 and I think it is far too slow for notetaking, in fact it is far too slow for anything really!

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I use my 500MHz iBook for taking notes and it works just fine. The 466 iBook and the TiBook may be too bulky, but the latest line of iBooks is the prefect size, and has a nice keyboard to boot. Also, many of my textbooks have CD-ROM based supplements, so I can use those in class, too. Also, I can search through my notes using the "Find and Replace" function in Word. Much more convenient than wading through paper notebooks like I used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.