using a pc cd-key for a mac version of a game

Discussion in 'Games' started by five04, Feb 16, 2006.

1. five04 macrumors member

Dec 11, 2003
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Ok, we all know mac versions of games are ridiculously overpriced. I've got plenty of friends who have UT2004 for the mac and having just got the first mac in my life able to play any game above 640x480, I'm thinking I can finally retire my PC for everything. So can I just buy the PC version of UT2004 for $15 instead of the $50 apple wants and use the cd-key with the mac installer. Also, is this the case for any other games?
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    You need a key for the correct version. A windows Key will not work for Mac game.

Exception: Games like Warcraft III have a Mac version and a PC version on the Same disk. I don't think UT is like this.

Have you checked Amazon? I think the game is much cheaper than $50.
  3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    There is a reason it costs more. The original developer didn't make the mac version. A different studio had to go through the enormous task of porting the game. So they have to PAY the original developer to license the game then they have to PAY their coders. Thats why it costs more. I don't like it, but until we have dual-booting imacs, or some awesome WINE like emulation, it is just a fact of reality.
  4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Its a hit and miss. Some PC CD keys do work on mac and some do not at install.
  5. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    I can tell you the UT2K4 Mac key works on the PC version :)

Didn't feel like buying it twice :-x