Using a superdrive to make Xbox game backups...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by esternullo, Dec 19, 2003.

1. esternullo macrumors member

has anybody had any success trying to make backup copies of xbox (or ps2) games using a mac?

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I gotta tell you, you will have close to zero luck with xBox backups. xBox DVDs read from the outside of the disk inwards. The Superdrive burns disks from the inner cicle out. The xBox would not read such game disks. I doubt there is even a reversed burning Superdrive out there on the market for your needs.

3. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

4. jonnyblobby macrumors member

jonnyblobby

There is actually

Xbox games are simple to backup to DVD with the superdrive. Goto www.xbox-scene.com and navigate to the tutorials section for detailed instructions.

Of coarse, you still need a mod-chip to do this all (they are now illegal in allot of countries), as you don't copy the files of the xbox game disc by having the disc in your computer, you need to have it in your xbox drive and have an alternate dashboard such as EvolutionX running that has built in FTP server that you then access from an FTP client on the mac such as transmit to copy the files from the Xbox DVD-Rom drive. Once you have the files on your mac, you must make it into a special xbox ISO file (programs for this are also at xbox-scene) that you then burn with toast to a DVDr/w.

As for PS2 games, I have no idea how to do them on a mac (although have not tried yet) but I have been able to copy games that are on CDs but not the games that are on dvd on a PC. Just search google.

5. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

ooo, shiny...

cool beans, thanks for the help :)

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

What about PC game backups? Like Mafia or Spiderman: The Move? I sorta got Mafia to work, but my process required the PC to have 2 cd drives, that which my dorm pc doesn't have. Spiderman: The Movie's second disk shows up as an audio cd and data cd on the desktop. I used Toast 6 to try and copy both but no dice. Any suggestions?

7. djjon macrumors member

I've been able to successfully burn PS2 cd games using an eMac. All you have to do is get a mod chip installed in the PS2 (or put it in yourself) and using Toast Titanium 6 select copy CD/DVD. The only trick is that some PS2's only like Vebatim and Apple media.
    Jon

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I burn Xbox backups all the time w/ my superdrive, just make sure you have Roxio Toast, and uncheck "Auto-Detect Format" when you select the ISO to burn.

9. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

so, did you use your superdrive to read the media, or extract it from an xbox drive?

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

The same is true for the Dreamcast's GD ROM which reads from th eoutside in. (developed by Toshiba)

11. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Actually, its the Gamecube's mini-dvd disc thats written from outside to in. The Xbox uses normal dvd's, and is easy to make a duplicate of. You still need a modchip to actually use it, though.

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

According to my copy of XBOX: blow the lid off! by Brian Underdahl, he states otherwise:

For those looking to install a mod chip on their xBox AND still use xBox Live!, I found this little tidbit you might want to read:

13. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

it is possible to wire a shut-off switch to the modchip, in order to use xbox live, with the xbox system in its original, unaltered state...

14. aldo macrumors regular

Yes, most mod chip installers will do that for you for about $10 (any more and they are ripping you off) or if you are soldering it in yourself you just need to put a switch (you can get one from your local electronics store for a couple of cents) inbetween the two pads that come on most xbox mod chips.

Also, what most people do is just install an FTP server on the xbox (xbox-scene.com has full tutorials on this) and then just copy the DVD drive to your PC (takes 5 minutes depending on how large the game is) and then just burn the file structure as a UDF file.

15. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

any suggestions on which mod chip to get for xbox?

i have been thinking of getting the cameleon chip...

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Its impossible to extract the files with a PC or mac dvd-rom, you have to FTP the files from the Xbox's DVD-rom.

If you want to get a modchip, get the Xecuter 3 when it comes out.