Using a System Profile marked "PC camera"?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Earendil, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

So I have a digital camera (Fuji s5000 if anyone knows it) and it has a function for using it as a webcam. Straight out of the box it works on windows, yet on my Powerbook it does not. I assure you that I am setting up the camera correctly.

I've never used a webcam, but as this is a mac, I assumed that plugging it in, and going to something like iChat (and to prefs) would give me a read out. But iChat tells me I have no camera attached. Next I went to System profiler to see what the USB port was reading, and it was telling me a "PC Camera" was present. I then verified this by plugging/unplugging and messing with settings on the camera. With everything set up correctly, it reads as "PC Camera" every time.

So my question is, can I make this work? Is Apple using "PC" here as Personal Computer, or as Windows? Is there no chance of this camera being compatible? Are there tricks and hacks that may be used? Maybe a hidden preference that I need to mess with? Or maybe a blatantly obvious preference?

I've searched Versiontracker for software that may help me out, but no luck there. Also Fuji is, of course, no help.

Any help or suggestions you guys might be able to provide would be splendid. You've always come through for me in the past!

Tyler
    Earendil

2. mrbrown macrumors 6502

My best advice to you is to search Sourceforge.net for a driver that will allow you to use this camera on Mac OS X. A lot of webcams that work on Windows rely on WDM (Windows Driver Model) and are not likely to work with OSX. I have a logitech webcam that only works on Windows, but I was able to find some drivers that gave the camera some functionality on OSX.