Using a WD 1TB External Hard Drive from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cedwhatev, Oct 27, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Hey guys, I am just awaiting the arrival of my MacBook Air, and had a question. I have a Western Digital External Hard Drive 1TB. To be specific, it's this one:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=430

Now, it's for both PC and Mac, but I've only used it on my netbook, which I just sold. Now, I will be using it on my Mac, but my question is, do I have to reformat it, and if so, do I have to remove everything off of it before doing so? I don't know much about this stuff, so I am at a loss as to what to do. I have alot of stuff on it, over 400GB worth, so I don't really want to have to go through all of that, if I don't have to. Any advice? :eek:

2. simsaladimbamba

Most probably it will be using NTFS as format, for consequences see below. Thus if you only want to use it in Mac OS X and as Time Machine HDD, it needs to be formatted with HFS+.
    Btw, if that data on the HDD and the future MBA is important to you, it is always good to have two backups. I backup my digital(ised) photos and video footage twice, thus I have three copies of it on three HDDs.

Time Machine FAQ

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

OK, so basically, I can only read whatever is on my WD HDD when using my Mac, but can only write onto the HDD using a Windows PC, unless I decide to format it for Mac. Correct? :D

4. simsaladimbamba

Basically yes, but you can use software to write to NTFS formatted HDDs. But if that HDD will be solely used in Mac OS X, HFS+ is the better choice.