Using a Wireless Router as a Bridge?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Error Type -43, May 8, 2006.

1. Error Type -43 macrumors member

Can any multi-port wireless router be used as a wireless bridge in an exisiting wireless network?

I already have my DSL modem connected to my Airport Extreme but I want to connect my Xbox 360, Xbox1, and PS2 wirelessly without having to buy an adapter for each.

But something tells me it's not as simple as it seems.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

The only one that I know of right now that can do that is the Zyxel P-330W. I saw it at CompUSA a month or so ago, but I think they have discontinued it in the store. I might get one from eBay. Does anybody else know of one? Preferaby a Linksys model?

3. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I tried to get an extra Linksys wireless router to work as a bridge, and it just never wanted to comply. I gave up and bought a wireless Linksys bridge, one port. I then attached a switch to it, so I could connect five devices.

4. ToddW macrumors 6502a

that is what i would recommend a cheap four port hub and a wireless bridge. I kept my wireless bridge for that same reason. i plan on connecting some enet equipment in my home and it will all be located in a cabinet, with the hub inside and the wireless bridge on the outside.

5. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. The hub to bridge idea is definitely one I'll consider.

After doing some reading, it looks like I need a router that can do "client" mode. Am I mistaken that not all routers do this?