using academic software - trouble???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joeintehsun, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Joeintehsun macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2003
    There have been a heap of posts about purchasing hardware with the educational discount, but what about software?

I can buy an academic version of Final Cut Pro 4 with any ID requirements.

Is this going to cause me any problems?
    Does Apple have any way of tracing academic vs. full license software?
    Can you upgrade from academic software to full licence (when I have saved some more)?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    The Academic version you will be buying IS the full version of the software.

A lot of people seem to think that Academic versions are "stripped down" versions of the software. That is not true. When you buy the Final Cut Pro Academic version, it is the full software at a discounted price.

You will not need to upgrade to the "full" version because you already have it.

I have purchased a ton of software using academic discounts, and I have experienced no problems in upgrading them to future releases.

Enjoy your new software!
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I have the Academic version of FCP 3 and over the summer I worked on a machine with FCP 3 retail version. They are identical software. I am in college, and therefore still qualify for the education discount, and while FCP 4 is kick ass software I do not have the cash to shell out for it. I am wondering though if in 4 years once I graduate, if I want FCP 6 or 7 or whatever it is at that time, and if like 4 the upgrade applies at the same price to all older versions if I will need to buy the full version upgrade, and that will work, or if I need to buy a full retail new license. I would think that Apple would let me pay the retail upgrade price?
  4. Joeintehsun thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2003
    Thanks for advice everyone.

I'm going to go ahead and buy FCP (Academic) of my friend.

I was hoping that he would sell me his version of DVD Studio Pro (I'm gunna have a lot to learn!!), but he wants that still.

Have had a look on eBay and it seems there is a fair bit of Academic software available. I'm pretty cautious though - thank god for escrow.

Thanks for everyone's comments I've learnt heaps. Haven't used Forums before, will be more in the future.