Using Access control with WDS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doug.hall, Jan 18, 2006.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to set up WDS with access control? I have two Airport expresses set up as a WDS. All works fine until I try to limit access to the WDS via the access control settings using airport admin utility. When I try to limit acces to just my laptop the remote airport express (not the main AE connected to my modem) stops working correctly.

anyone got any ideas?

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I've not done this, so this is guessing.

Access control is done by the MAC address of whatever the client is (e.g. a laptop, a desktop, or a remote base station, etc.). WDS is also done by MAC address. i.e. the Main Base Station is told the MAC address of the remote base station (and possibly vice versa - I don't recall).

I'm guessing then if you go to Access Control on the main base station and only put in the MAC address of your laptop, then you have excluded the remote base station from connecting to the main base station.

Try entering the MAC address of the remote base station as well as your laptop's MAC address into the Access Control on the main base station.

3. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

4. devman macrumors 65816

devman

ah good. well, i'm glad it's working for you. I assumed you already had the laptop's MAC address in both as I thought Apple's WDS setup automatically copied the main's setting to the remote (at least it did when I set one up ages ago). I guess it doesn't for the Access Control... (i've not used that function)

Oh well, enjoy the setup! :)