Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I know this is possible but can I also do it with my friends computers who are using PC laptops? And is it any different than with Mac laptops. I would have the ehternet plugged into my computer and then what?

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It should work with Windows laptops as well as Mac ones. You want to share the internet connection you are receiving over ethernet using Airport? Use the Sharing panel in System Preferences.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I tried that and then I set up the Network and they join--everything looks good but when they open Firefox/Safari it just isnt able to connect?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
greenguy4 said:
I tried that and then I set up the Network and they join--everything looks good but when they open Firefox/Safari it just isnt able to connect?

What sort of error are they getting? Can they ping the sites from the Terminal (ping http://www.google.com is a good way of testing a connection). If not it's probably that they default gateway and/or DNS setting are not correct.

calculush1

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
AIrport with PCs

I use a PC laptop with my Airport. I used to have a mac desktop but that went and died on me. Both worked fine together, I have no problems with the laptop alone. PCs love airports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.