Using Airport Express for streaming video???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CuriousG, Aug 8, 2005.

1. CuriousG macrumors newbie

Has anyone in these forums tried to use the combination of a Mac Mini (nearest tv) and another Mac somewhere else in the home like the office or something...and then streaming video from the Mac to the Mac Mini using the airport express? I am trying it now and it works (ok) but not great cause you get skips and such. Just wondering if there is a way to increase the bandwidth so that you dont get skips and such? Too bad you couldnt buffer the video coming in to Quicktime or can you?

The setup I have now is this:

Mac Mini connected to TV
    Airport Express
    20" iMac w/ source video

So I share the source video folder on my iMac so that my Mac Mini can see it on the network and then I just connect to the video file in the shared folder and play it on the Mac Mini. But the bandwidth dont seem to be enough. Any suggestions from anyone who has tried something like this?

2. CuriousG thread starter macrumors newbie

A little more research drummed up something called Quicktime Streaming Server which looks promising but again...has anyone tried this? It apparently only comes built in to OS X Server for now. :(

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Am I missing something? Why are you using the Airport Express, and how?

4. erickg macrumors 6502

I've used my iBook and iMac in this manner. The iBook is connected to a 20" widescreen Dell monitor. It works very well when:

- both computers are close enough to the Airport Express to have full reception (not full stripes, but full reception... in my experience with Tiger these two differ)
    - the video played doesn't need too high bandwidth (i.e. if I converted a DVD to a .mov file thats under 700 mb it works well)
    - neither of the computers are downloading anything in the background

I just connect the ibook to the imac via "Network" in Finder and open the movie file on the ibook. A lot depends on where you place the Airport Express. If I put mine in the living room, there's no way it will work (even though I have all four stripes showing black in tiger). If I put it in the hall (equidistant to both the imac and ibook) it'll work fine.

Hope this helps.