using airport extreme without a hub...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by evoluzione, May 2, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, so as some of you know, i have a couple of 17" powerbooks for the weekend, however, I don't have an airport base station. i have connected one to my linksys router though. now, can i get the other pb online through the ethernet connected damn one sec, pasta's ready jeez! that was one crazy flash of lightening/thunder crash powerbook?? also, i can't get them to talk to each other via airport, i know i can do this, and i wanna transfer files between them wirelessly (without base station of course don't forget).

ideally i'd like to get both online with just the one ethernet cable, then i can leave one hooked up to the linksys, and walk about with the other one......

any ideas guys???

thanks in advance, as always :)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Sorry, you need a hub. Or two ethernet cards. But a hub. They can be had dirt cheap, get a 4-port and you have a little room to grow.

pasta and lightening, very very frightening!

sorry... hehe

pnw

3. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

so i can't get them talking via airport then??? that kinda sucks :(

4. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Not sure if this works or not, but in the "Sharing" section of the Preferences, under the "Internet" tab, there is a check box for "Share your internet connection with Airport equipped computers." Now I've never used this feature, but it seems like it may work for you. Just a thought, maybe it will help.

5. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

yes! awesome, thanks for that! :D

now just gotta see if i can transfer files between the two, but as paulwhannel said, i'll need a hub i'm sure, otherwise, what's the use of buying an airport base station? i'm sure you could do it, if they let ya though...

6. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

hmmm, but then, what's the computer to computer thing????

7. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

well, i got files transferring via bluetooth, would rather it be airport extreme though.....

getting there....

8. Moe macrumors regular

I don't have a new Mac yet, but I do have a coupla good books.

From what I read in the O'Reilly Hacks book, when you select to share your internet connection with other AirPort users, your hardwired Mac becomes a configurable AirPort base station.

What I don't know is whether you have to turn Bluetooth off on both Macs to get them to talk with AirPort.

Can you file transfer between them using Rendezvous in an iChat session between them?

9. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

i tried the iChat route too, no luck...i tried the computer to computer network, and they all see the 'puter i created a network with, so far so good, but then what?? how do i actually transfer files etc? it's weird. I popped into Apple SoHo (woah, busy) and the girl at the Genius Bar (why do they never have enough people on these things???) said I can connect the powerbooks that way, and i can transfer files. i didn't ask her what happens after i select the other computer's network.

bah, i'm starting to get a tad frustrated now :( my coffee table looks ace with the 3 17's on it though, they just fit haha

now i can't get the shared internet to work either :(

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Forgive me, I misunderstood the question. You can definitely do this, transferring files from client to client is quite possible via AE, as well as internet sharing. I'll try and help you troubleshoot it later, have a charity benefit i'm late for, sorry about the confusion on this--

pnw

11. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

:) I know my posts weren't the clearest in the world. ok, i have got the 3 powerbooks talking to each other (i forgot to turn file sharing on, d'oh) now i just gotta see if i can get online too :)

update: ok, so i have all 3 pb's connected to my iMac which has the ethernet internet connection. and they all see each other, and they can all access the internet via AE :D :D :D and i see all the 'puters in iChat too :)

i can only think it wasn't working before because the 15" pb i used was up the creek a tad...