Using AirPortXT with my SMC Router

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AlbinoPigeon, Feb 9, 2004.

1. AlbinoPigeon macrumors member

Jan 1, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a new G4 iBook with an AirPortXT card and I want it to work with my SMC 7004VWBR Wireless Router. I have called SMC and they have set up the router but cant help me with my iBook settings, and i've called Apple but they cant help me with my router settings. So I need someone to help me connect the two together!

My SSID for the router is "SMC"
    The Transmission Rate is: 11 Mbps
    The Basic Rate is: 11Mbps
    The channel is: 11

How do I configure my Airport card to work with these settings?

Do I use the password for configging my router as the network password too? I've tried it and AirPort cant find the network.

I have installed the AirPort update (3.3)

(BTW: The router works fine WIRED to my PC and my old G3 iBook at the same time. And SMC said that the router is OS X 10.3 compatible)
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Re: Using AirPortXT with my SMC Router

Maybe it would help if you post screenshots of your Airport settings in Sys Prefs? Did you try the join "Automatic" setting? Also, have you hooked anything else to the SMC wirelessly? If so, then probably you should concentrate on your AE settings and not on your router settings....

Also, when you look for a network (e.g. with Automatic), does airport fail to find one at all, or does it fail to log in? When you click on the airport icon in the menu bar, do you see any networks listed (should be between "Turn Airport On" and "Other....")? I see networks even before I try to log onto them (like, I see networks that belong to other people in the building).
  3. AlbinoPigeon thread starter macrumors member

Jan 1, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd love to post some shots, how can I though?

I tried the automatic setting, but there is not network found that it can connect to.

I have never connected anything to the router wirelessly

When I click the AirPort icon at the top, there are no networks at all.

EDIT: Another thing, does the channel matter? What channel does the AirPort card operate on? Thanks!