Using Airtunes on 2 separate Airport Expresses on same network?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by uyehara, Aug 1, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I just moved into a new house that has speakers wired into the ceilings of all the rooms. There are 6 inputs in the basement and each room can choose which input it wants to listen to.

I am hoping to connect 2 ( or maybe even more if possible) airport expresses up in the basement so that both myself and my roomate can simultaneously stream separate songs in different rooms through airtunes.

I know I can set this up if both airport expresses are separate wifi networks, but i want both computers to remain connected to the internet (and my modem only has one ethernet connection)

1. Can I have both airport expresses on the SAME wifi network but have 2 computers streaming separate music to each?

2. If not would I be able to connect a ethernet router to the modem and then connect both airport expresses to the first router and make each a separate wifi network?

Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors P6

Intell

You can have many Airport Express on your network and you can stream different things from different computers at the same time to different Expresses.

The Expresses have a join mode in which they join a already established WiFi network as a device.

3. macrumors 6502a

I have run a 2 AE configuration with no issues for audio. The express won't do video though.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! Have either of you tried airfoil? I'm curious if that will also work with multiple airport expresses at the same time.

5. macrumors P6

Intell

Airfoil can output to multiple at once as well.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Last question I promise (hopefully): Is there any way to get my xbox 360 to output audio to the airport express (whether through airfoil or airtunes or whatever)?