Using an apple CRT with a PC ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ajstaplegun, May 31, 2004.

1. ajstaplegun macrumors newbie

I have just bought a G4 (my very first non-work mac !!)...anyways after dumping down a huge amount of money (for me) on a new G4 I decided to see if I could pick up a second hand monitor untill I could aford a new LCD....as luck would have it I scored an Apple 17" CRT for $40 ($25US).....The guy who sold it doesnt have a mac (recieved it from a mate who was moving and didnt need it anymore) so has never tried it out....anyways I just picked it up tonight the thing is in seemingly mint condition...I wont get my G4 till the weekend but I noticed the monitor had a standard VGA plug so I tried to plug it into my PC but it doesnt display anything...the only thing that happens is that the on switch pulses from green to orange...I pulled the plug back out and noticed that it seemingly had one prong missing...so it looks like this

o o o o o
    o o o . o
    o o o o o

instead of my PC monitor which looks like this

o o o o o
    o o o o o
    o o o o o

so my question is....should my Apple CRT work on my PC ? or is it designed to only work with Apple hardware/software ?....and secondly should I be worried about the missing prong?? any help would be Ace.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

pin11 is usually not connected, so that shouldn't be a defect. i guess the display should be fine with pc and mac, but it is unknown which display modes it supports.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your Apple CRT monitor probably had an adapter to connect to a VGA port in the box. Mine did.

5. Ph4lynx macrumors member

i used to have the exact same setup and it worked just fine

6. ajstaplegun thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help guys....comforting to know that the missing pin may not be nessacary...tho for $40 I'm not too fused...but would be great to get it working...was also thinking that I would need the drivers before it would work with my PC....

I think I'll just wait untill my G4 arrives before I grab any connectors
    but thanks for all yr help. Appreciated.