Using an external monitor with ibook. Help, all you pros!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Feb 15, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I have a 15 inch view sonic flat panel display. Its highest resolution is 1024x768. I want to use it with the new 12 inch ibook. How do i hook it up? Will the ibook be able to drive this monitor? Will expose be choppy, or smoothe like it is on the 12 inch screen? Ive seen the mac mini on the 20 inch cinema display and expose looks like crap. Im hoping the ibook will drive this baby just fine. Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all :D

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

There is a hack out there for those who want to span there desktop. Search for it, there are hundreds of posts on that topic. Yes, the ibook (with the hack) will be able to span the 15 inch monitor.

kyle

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Why do i have to use a hack? Its a 1024x768 monitor. Same res as the ibook. I thought the hack was to run at higher res on an external.

4. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

You can either

A.) hook up your monitor and mirror

B.) spann it and run 2 different desktops

the latter needs a hack on the non-pro models.

kyle

5. Brian Haworth macrumors member

iBooks by default are not capable of spanning the desktop across to an external monitor, only mirroring. You need the hack if you want to span the desktop across them.

6. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Im only using 1 external monitor. I just want to close the lid to my ibook and use this much bigger 15 inch view sonic screen ive had in storage. You mentioned mirror? I think that sounds like what i want to do. How will expose look with the ibook driving this bigger monitor. I know it drives the 14 inch on the other ibook just fine. So will this 1 extra inch make that big of a difference. By the way, its nice to see another person from Cali here. :D

7. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

that is called - "clamshell mode"

I wouldn't recommend that one on a ibook. It needs to dissapate heat through the keyboard...

kyle

8. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If you want to use the 15" monitor you will have to use it either mirrored with the iBook's display or run the screen spanning back. You cannot use the iBook in clamshell mode (running screen while laptop is shut). The hack says it adds that capability but it does not work in Panther well. Also, you can burn up the iBook by using it in clamshell mode because of the way the laptop is designed. If you burn up you laptop that way apple will not cover it under warranty. Unfortunatly, the iBook is really not designed well to be used with an external display :-( This is what made me have to switch to a powerbook even tho the iBook was pleanty fast enough.

Exposé should run ok at 1024x768 even with spanning or mirroring. You will only have 16MB of graphics memory to work with on both displays so if you go any higher with the resolution you will notice slowdowns. Hope this helps you :)

9. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Crap! Wanker! And if theres another way to say (that sucks) ill take it :(

10. Cybernanga macrumors regular

The iBook only mirrors displays.

The hack enables spanning.

mirror= identical display on 2 monitors (2 menu bar's, 2 docks, 2 copies of safari)
    span = display crosses 2 monitors ( 1 menubar, 1 dock, you can stretch safar accross both screens)

11. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Captain, is there a lonely PB somewhere with your name on it?

12. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Mcgarry, ive already packed my bags and im on my way to powerbook land.

13. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

oh, I was just kidding, just remembering our discussions of yore. If you don't mind the paltry VRAM, can't you just leave the lid open, say 25 degrees or so? that might let it vent enough ...?

14. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Yea i could. I didnt even know the ibook let out its heat through the key board. This is all news to me. I figured i would have felt heat through my hands when im typing but i never do.