Using an iBook AS a Bluetooth headset.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Marneus, Nov 23, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2005
    Ok, hear me out on this one cos my mate reckons he can pull it off on a PC.

But, given my phone (K700i) talks to my iBook (1.33ghz, 1gb ram) with no problems at all, I use Salling Clicker, my computer pauses my music during incoming calls and everything...can I use my iBook AS a headset? I.E, stream the audio out through my stereo and use the inbuilt microphone to talk?

Or am I deluded?

Thanks in anticipation.
  2. macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
  3. macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    Just post you phone number Marneus and we'll give you a call to test it out.....;)
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    I know that it can be done on windows, ive done it. Cant help you do it on the ibook though sorry :(
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    I'm a bit confused - you want to actually look like this?????:eek:
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2005
    Ok...I think you all misunderstood my question :p

I want to fool my phone into thinking that my computer is a headset, or at least this is the only way I can think of doing it, unless there are others.

Make it so my incoming calls can be heard through the laptop speakers and so I can use the laptop microphone to talk into.

Like I said, i've heard of it being able to be done on Windows, so I don't see why Tiger in all it's glory should have a problem, it's just a case of figuring out how.
  7. macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    There's a Bluetooth function called 'audio gateway', which I believe allows you to do this.

I tried it on my Windows XP Pro laptop a while back. Basically in my old apartment we had crappy mobile coverage, so I would usually place the mobile high up on a shelf. I used to connect the laptop to it via bluetooth audio gateway and use a headset on laptop to answer calls.

I believe it worked OK, can't remember. :eek:

If your iBook/Phone supports audio gateway, you should be able to do what you want.
  8. macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    The other option, is if you have a plug in the back of your phone (antenna plug), you can often tape a wire there and run it to some aluminium foil. A little primitive, but might double the signal.
    The concept of this thread is pretty cool.