Using an XP keyboard on PB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Temujin, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Can I use a XP windows keyboard on my PB?

If yes what's the Apple key then, the windows key?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If it's USB, yes, most of the time. Not sure which keys are which, they're in the same order though, ctrl, opt, cmd.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Windows key will become the Apple/Command key. Control and Alt (Option) will function properly as well.

It'll be a bit weird since the Command and Windows keys are in different places. The only issue I've ever had is some booting issues on overclocked Mac's using non-Apple keyboards.

4. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

you might need some software to switch the keys, if im right, keyboard keys are operated by numbers inside the software. its not in any os, you push 'a' and the os recocnizes 'a' and then puts it in. it will be you put 'a' in, it translates to number 14 (dont think its that) and then the app translates that. so, the keys on a windows keyboard will be in the same order as a mac ones (ctrl,option,command) despite what's printed on the keyboard. i believe that there is software that can make it switch the buttons around, or you just have to remember that you have to switch the keys. Also, i don't think the internet keys, etc. will work without special firmware on a mac.

5. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

What's a windows XP keyboard? There are many USB keyboards with windows keys (not limited to XP), but they work with both linux on PC, OS X on a Mac, and more.

I used a Logitech USB keyboard with an iBook for a long time. It worked fine. The alt and windows keys work as command and alt keys respectively, though. But these can be switched with a logitech keyboard driver.

6. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Thanks for all the answers guys.

I was thinking of buying a Logitech standard (cheap) usb keyboard

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I'd still like Apple to start manufacturing natural keyboards, (preferably wireless/BT), or even a third party company to do a natural keybaord that has the standard Mac keys on them. If anyone knows of one that does, feel free to drop me a pm.

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Logitech, Macally, and a bunch of others make keyboards with the Apple keys. But by natural, do you mean the split ones? Haven't seen a mac version of any of those, sorry.

9. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Logitechs Cordless Comfort Duo is a split keyboard that supports Mac. I think it even has the Mac command key icon next to the windows "flag".

I have used a Logitech cordless split keyboard with a mac myself.

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

As long as you can see Mac and Windows logos on the package, it should work with your Mac. Because I wanted to get the ergonomically curved keyboard, I bought Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard. Its driver lets me switch Windows and ALT keys so that I can use the keys next to Space Bar as Apple/Command keys.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

some the microsoft keyboards come with software so you can use all the fancy buttons as well....