Using Apple 23" HD monitor with a Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jrosenqu, Feb 7, 2003.

1. jrosenqu macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2003
    I bought an 867 Powerbook recently and was wondering whether it can adequately support the 23" HD monitor, at least until I can afford a Power Mac down the line. I realize that my max at this point is 1280x854, but am not sure what that translates into on the 23"er.

Anyone have thoughts? Thanks.
  2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    It will support it, just up to the PowerBooks max resolution, but why would you want to not use the screen in front of you for a slightly bigger one?
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Actually, on the PowerBook, the resolution for the external screen is seperate from the resolution for the builtin L:CD (Unless you're doing video mirroring).

I believe that the 867 Powerbook supports the maximum resolution the 23" LCD offers. When the 23" Is connected of course.
  4. spacepower macrumors member

Jul 8, 2002
    Bear is Right, read Apple's Spec pages people

The Powerbooks Starting with the 667/800 DVI and newer (minus the 12") can all drive any Apple LCD at max resolution. If you don't believe it, go see it at the Apple Store.
  5. MUrhino macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    Shortened PB life if HD Display used?

Does using the cinema display in any way hinder the ability, or life span of the powerbook? I'm going to grab the 15" when it gets updated, and there are some cheap 23" Cinema Displays on eBay right now. Does the laptop get hotter? Any unusual side effects of using it?

The only reason I'm considering buying a 23" is because it's a lot chepaer than the actual flat panel TV's....but I'm gonna wait until late summer. Surely they'll update them...who knows, HDTV ready? Thanks for the input.